Newsmaker: John Tymitz
Noteworthy: Board members at the New York-based Global Nomads Group, an international nonprofit group, chose Tymitz in March to be the board chairman for at least a year. Formed in 1998, Global Nomads uses videoconferencing, social networking and other communications to forge ties among youth in North America, Afghanistan, the Middle East and parts of Africa.
Occupation: Emeritus board member and co-founder of Charlottesville, Va.-based Institute for Shipboard Education; chairman of the audit committee at the Brother's Brother Foundation in the North Side
Family: Wife, Dixie; son, Jonathan Tymitz of Norman, Okla.; daughter and son-in-law, Scarlet and Yosi Maman of Santa Ana, Calif., and their sons Aaron, Sean and Ben
Background: Tymitz moved to Pittsburgh in 1983 after the University of Pittsburgh became the academic sponsor of Semester at Sea, a study-abroad program under the Institute for Shipboard Education. He served as CEO of the program until 2008.
Education: Bachelor's and master's degrees in 1966 and 1968, respectively, from Southern Illinois and a Ph.D. in U.S. diplomatic history in 1973 from Oklahoma State
Quote: “I think the value is that people begin to understand it's better to talk to each other than to pull out guns and fire at each other,” Tymitz said of Global Nomads.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods
- Foundation donates $350K to revitalize facades in Downtown Pittsburgh
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Allegheny County Council members outspend expense accounts
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Newsmaker: Thomas J. Usher
- Rules hamper Franklin Regional attack victim scholarships