Newsmaker: Dr. Daniel Brooks
Noteworthy: The Allegheny County Medical Society gave Brooks its Richard E. Deitrick Humanity in Medicine Award, which honors a physician who has improved the lives of patients and served as a role model for other physicians.
Family: Wife, three children and seven grandchildren
Occupation: Vice president of community health services for Heritage Valley Health System, with hospitals in Beaver and Sewickley
Background: After graduating from medical school, Brooks was an assistant professor of surgery at Pitt. In 1976, he became the head of the division of general surgery in Allegheny General Hospital. Two years later, he joined Surgical Associates of Sewickley, a private practice. In 2000, Brooks joined Heritage Valley Health System as chief medical officer, and later became chief operating officer of Heritage Valley's Sewickley hospital.
Education: Medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1965; bachelor's degree from Bucknell University, 1961
Quote: “It was an important award for me because I was a close colleague of Richard Deitrick for many years.”
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Search for Duquesne University graduate Kochu continues
- Alliance aims to transform vacant parcel in St. Clair to include townhouses, urban farming
- Pittsburgh’s Hill District revitalization project hits financial hurdle in TIF
- Fatal fire under investigation in New Castle
- Garfield residents plan rally over Bottom Dollar site
- Carnegie skatepark set to close for the season
- Newsmaker: Jason Tarap
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes