Newsmaker: Jonathan Timcheck
Noteworthy: Timcheck is one of four Ohio State University students named a Goldwater Scholar. The award, named after the late Sen. Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona, provides up to $7,500 a year to cover the last two years of his undergraduate tuition, fees, books and room and board. He is the first sophomore nominated for the award from Ohio State in eight years and is one of 271 recipients from among more than 1,100 sophomores and juniors nominated on the basis of academic merit in mathematics, science and engineering.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Parents, Marianne and Paul Timcheck; brothers Andrew, 26, Phillip, 21, and Stephen, 17; and a sister, Theresa, 24
Background: He is a member of the Honors Collegium, a program for select students in the University Honors Program at Ohio State, and has conducted research in particle physics with Ohio State faculty.
Education: He is a sophomore majoring in engineering physic at Ohio State; he graduated from North Allegheny Senior High School in 2011.
Quote: “I am excited to use the Goldwater Scholarship to continue my education at Ohio State toward a research career in high-energy physics.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods
- Newsmaker: Thomas J. Usher
- Foundation donates $350K to revitalize facades in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Allegheny County Council members outspend expense accounts
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Pittsburgh wins Gawker.com ugliest accent tourney n’at
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial