Newsmaker: Jonathan Timcheck
Noteworthy: Timcheck is one of four Ohio State University students named a Goldwater Scholar. The award, named after the late Sen. Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona, provides up to $7,500 a year to cover the last two years of his undergraduate tuition, fees, books and room and board. He is the first sophomore nominated for the award from Ohio State in eight years and is one of 271 recipients from among more than 1,100 sophomores and juniors nominated on the basis of academic merit in mathematics, science and engineering.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Parents, Marianne and Paul Timcheck; brothers Andrew, 26, Phillip, 21, and Stephen, 17; and a sister, Theresa, 24
Background: He is a member of the Honors Collegium, a program for select students in the University Honors Program at Ohio State, and has conducted research in particle physics with Ohio State faculty.
Education: He is a sophomore majoring in engineering physic at Ohio State; he graduated from North Allegheny Senior High School in 2011.
Quote: “I am excited to use the Goldwater Scholarship to continue my education at Ohio State toward a research career in high-energy physics.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Pa. Monuments license plates revenue to help maintain Gettysburg monuments
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since discrimination lawsuit
- White House threat sparks call for wider immigration debate
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millennials
- Pitt, city officials inspecting student housing in Oakland
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks among world’s best
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging