Newsmaker: Jonathan Timcheck
By Bill Zlatos
Published: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Noteworthy: Timcheck is one of four Ohio State University students named a Goldwater Scholar. The award, named after the late Sen. Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona, provides up to $7,500 a year to cover the last two years of his undergraduate tuition, fees, books and room and board. He is the first sophomore nominated for the award from Ohio State in eight years and is one of 271 recipients from among more than 1,100 sophomores and juniors nominated on the basis of academic merit in mathematics, science and engineering.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Parents, Marianne and Paul Timcheck; brothers Andrew, 26, Phillip, 21, and Stephen, 17; and a sister, Theresa, 24
Background: He is a member of the Honors Collegium, a program for select students in the University Honors Program at Ohio State, and has conducted research in particle physics with Ohio State faculty.
Education: He is a sophomore majoring in engineering physic at Ohio State; he graduated from North Allegheny Senior High School in 2011.
Quote: “I am excited to use the Goldwater Scholarship to continue my education at Ohio State toward a research career in high-energy physics.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4-car crash near Fox Chapel snarls Route 28 traffic
- Wuerl tells faithful all Catholics are responsible for schools
- Democrats consider Pittsburgh for 2016 national convention
- Landmark former school in Pittsburgh’s Hill District to incubate startups
- Proposal to drill in West Deer and Frazer draws comments from both sides
- Trial begins in Steelers stabbing
- Post 9/11 veterans lend skills to community leadership course
- Bullied South Fayette student’s case prompts wiretap overhaul legislation
- Western Pa. colleges schedule commencement
- Newsmaker: Leah Pileggi
- Catholic learning sessions to start in Pittsburgh