Newsmaker: Jonathan Timcheck
Noteworthy: Timcheck is one of four Ohio State University students named a Goldwater Scholar. The award, named after the late Sen. Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona, provides up to $7,500 a year to cover the last two years of his undergraduate tuition, fees, books and room and board. He is the first sophomore nominated for the award from Ohio State in eight years and is one of 271 recipients from among more than 1,100 sophomores and juniors nominated on the basis of academic merit in mathematics, science and engineering.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Parents, Marianne and Paul Timcheck; brothers Andrew, 26, Phillip, 21, and Stephen, 17; and a sister, Theresa, 24
Background: He is a member of the Honors Collegium, a program for select students in the University Honors Program at Ohio State, and has conducted research in particle physics with Ohio State faculty.
Education: He is a sophomore majoring in engineering physic at Ohio State; he graduated from North Allegheny Senior High School in 2011.
Quote: “I am excited to use the Goldwater Scholarship to continue my education at Ohio State toward a research career in high-energy physics.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Girl, 12, rescues 4-year-old sister from burning house in Homestead
- Growth spurs expanded staff at Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
- Group’s proposed fracking moratorium for Allegheny County parks to go on council agenda
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- Brentwood police chief to get nearly $200K as part of settlement agreement with borough
- Nude photos of Penn Hills High School students spur investigation
- Judges with Pittsburgh ties enter race for Pa. Supreme Court
- Newsmaker: Christopher W. Robinson
- Millions in pollution fines went unused for decades in Allegheny County
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects