Newsmaker: Melissa Somma McGivney
Noteworthy: Elected president of the board of the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Educational Foundation. Its mission is to foster research, education and the development of practice models that advance patient care.
Family: Husband, Phil, and son, Joseph.
Occupation: Associate professor, University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, and director, Community Pharmacy Residency Program.
Background: She also has taught at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre and UPMC St. Margaret near Aspinwall. She has been at Pitt for 10 years.
Education: Received Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Pittsburgh and completed residency in ambulatory care at UPMC Presbyterian.
Quote: “I don't know that everyone knows that they can expect more from their pharmacists, not just getting a prescription behind a counter. Our students are trained to take care of people and teach them how and why they're taking medications.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brashear High ‘little libraries’ program rolls out
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’
- Environmental teachers glean new ideas from networking
- Newsmaker: Cindy Marzock
- Pittsburgh fraud case, Uganda-based counterfeiting racket linked
- Second African penguin chick hatches at National Aviary
- The Exchange offers reward for information that leads to the arrest of person who shot Ross clerk
- Fall from Hazelwood roof kills man
- German firm Nextbike to provide first 500 bikes for Pittsburgh sharing program
- Motivation in slaying of Penn Hills couple remains unclear