Newsmaker: Melissa Somma McGivney
Noteworthy: Elected president of the board of the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Educational Foundation. Its mission is to foster research, education and the development of practice models that advance patient care.
Family: Husband, Phil, and son, Joseph.
Occupation: Associate professor, University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, and director, Community Pharmacy Residency Program.
Background: She also has taught at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre and UPMC St. Margaret near Aspinwall. She has been at Pitt for 10 years.
Education: Received Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Pittsburgh and completed residency in ambulatory care at UPMC Presbyterian.
Quote: “I don't know that everyone knows that they can expect more from their pharmacists, not just getting a prescription behind a counter. Our students are trained to take care of people and teach them how and why they're taking medications.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Heavy rain prompts flood advisory for Allegheny, Westmoreland counties
- Pro skateboarder Tony Hawk draws crowd of 1,500 to break in Carnegie Park
- White House threat sparks call for wider immigration debate
- Bridge inspections, washing to impact Pittsburgh traffic
- Work set for Parkway West
- Monroeville firefighters hope hot photo calendar will help raise money
- Timing of summer’s end a matter of perspective for Western Pennsylvanians