Woman alleges abduction, rape by ex-boyfriend in Overbrook
An Overbrook man is charged with sexually assaulting and threatening to kill a woman in his apartment.
Alex McGowan, 25, is being held in the Allegheny County Jail in connection with the events that happened over three days last month, Pittsburgh police said.
A woman told investigators she had a relationship with McGowan and was trying to get her belongings from the apartment when McGowan choked, punched and kicked her. He tortured her over three days, bound her and burned her with a lit cigarette, the woman told police.
She escaped through a window on April 24 and found help.
The Tribune-Review does not identify victims of alleged sexual assault.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Sto-Rox High School announces early dismissal because of heat
- Western Pennsylvania schools’ denial of access to roofers prompts suit
- American to halt 2 direct routes from Pittsburgh International
- 1 killed, another injured in early-morning Clairton shooting
- Police: Suspect in death of Fineview toddler changed his statements
- Shooting that killed Winchester Thurston grad surprised witnesses
- Imagine Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship wins appeal to expand, accept more students
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Pittsburgh councilwoman introduces pair of bills to protect animals
- Judge allows conspiracy lawsuit against UPMC, Highmark to proceed