Newsmaker: Andrew Steimer
Noteworthy: A captain with the Coraopolis-based 316th Expeditionary Sustainment Command, he received the Army Commendation Medal after deployment to Kuwait in 2012. The medal is awarded to soldiers who distinguish themselves through heroism, meritorious achievement or meritorious service.
Occupation: Supply manager
Background: Steimer did two tours of Iraq, 2006 and 2009, before being deployed to Kuwait in 2012 to help get equipment out of Iraq.
Education: Bachelor of arts, history, Penn State University, 2005.
Quote: “It was a real honor to be recognized for your service. The team that I was a part of worked really hard and I think it was a reflection of my team.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Growth spurs expanded staff at Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
- Group’s proposed fracking moratorium for Allegheny County parks to go on council agenda
- Millions in pollution fines went unused for decades in Allegheny County
- Apartment development outlined for former Schenley High School in Pittsburgh
- Rare surgery helps woman beat paralysis
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Newsmaker: Daniel Eichinger
- Dinners, other Thanksgiving events planned in region
- Reading Harry Potter provides clues to brain activity, CMU researchers say
- Girl, 12, rescues 4-year-old sister from burning house in Homestead