Chlorine spill evacuates Wilkinsburg apartment building
By Tony LaRussa
Published: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 11:27 a.m.
Residents of an apartment building in Wilkinsburg were evacuated on Thursday morning after people reported smelling a strong chlorine odor, authorities said.
Firefighters responding to the scene in the 500 block of Franklin Avenue shortly before 10 a.m. reported that the fumes were caused by chlorine tablets used for a swimming pool came into contact with water, according to city fire officials.
A city hazardous materials crew was dispatched to clean up the spill and paramedics checked residents. No injuries were reported.
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal is investigating.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Legal experts question prosecuting South Fayette boy for recording bullies
- Obama hopes to replicate CCAC job training efforts across U.S.
- South Fayette mother wants case against bullied son to be dropped
- South Fayette parents express dissatisfaction with handling of bullying
- Several Duquesne homes damaged in fire
- Orphanage shaped values of California judge, a Bishop Canevin graduate
- Methane emission levels by shale natural gas drillers disputed by EPA, researchers
- Defense experts tell of disease they say claimed 4-month-old from Castle Shannon whose father is charged with homicide
- Allegheny County employees sticking with Highmark to save money, send message
- For undercover officer who tried to nab Lawrence County flasher, work can be ‘drag’
- Woman charged in Schuylkill County stabbing death