Chlorine spill evacuates Wilkinsburg apartment building

| Thursday, May 23, 2013, 11:27 a.m.

Residents of an apartment building in Wilkinsburg were evacuated on Thursday morning after people reported smelling a strong chlorine odor, authorities said.

Firefighters responding to the scene in the 500 block of Franklin Avenue shortly before 10 a.m. reported that the fumes were caused by chlorine tablets used for a swimming pool came into contact with water, according to city fire officials.

A city hazardous materials crew was dispatched to clean up the spill and paramedics checked residents. No injuries were reported.

The Allegheny County Fire Marshal is investigating.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 

 
Show commenting policy
Trending