Newsmaker: Donald Wilfong
Notable: Wilfong, vice chairman of the department of medicine at West Penn Hospital, was named father of the year by the American Diabetes Association's Pittsburgh branch. The award recognizes both his success as a father and his professional accomplishments. Wilfong has lectured on diabetic education for more than 25 years and is known for his expertise in the pharmacological effects of diabetic medications.
Residence: Fox Chapel.
Family: Wife, Donna Wilfong; sons, Josh, a physician, Jordan, a licensed social worker and Jake, a junior at Duquesne University.
Education: Bachelor's of science in biochemistry from University of Pittsburgh; medical degree from Hahnemann Medical School in Philadelphia.
Hobbies: Attending major league games with friends and his three sons.
Quote: “It is an honor to get an award from an organization I admire and respect. Diabetes has become an epidemic in this country. The most important thing we do is raising our children, so it's nice to be honored as a father.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Former McCandless ice cream shop owner convicted of sex charges
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Heavy rain prompts flood advisory for Allegheny, Westmoreland counties