Newsmaker: Jennifer Moss
Noteworthy: The Society for Contemporary Craft named Moss its first Artist in Residence to augment its summer show, the 2013 Fiberart International. The three-month position combines educational programming, community outreach and marketing.
Family: Partner, Ugis Berzins
Occupation: Self-employed mixed media artist, from wearable art to room-sized installations
Education: Bachelor's degree in fine arts, Western Michigan University; Alchimia School of Contemporary Jewellery, Florence, Italy; Penland School of Crafts, Bakersville, N.C.; master's degree in fine arts in fibers, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Ga.
Background: Moss' work was featured in 500 Felt Objects from Lark Books. Her awards include a 2012 Student Niche Award, Best in Show at the 2011 Fantastic Fiber Exhibition and inclusion in the London International Creative Competition shortlist.
Quote: “My work right now is all about nature and natural processes and their ability to overcome the man-made, so by the end of my residency, the greens and browns will really take over the space. Decay and disrepair are beautiful. Pittsburgh is a perfect example of that.”
— Megan Harris
Add Megan Harris to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Allegheny County Council members outspend expense accounts
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Pittsburgh wins Gawker.com ugliest accent tourney n’at
- Newsmaker: Thomas J. Usher
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Foundation donates $350K to revitalize facades in Downtown Pittsburgh
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods
- Pittsburgh VA director gets more time to appeal firing recommendation