Derry man, 30, killed in motorcycle crash; passenger injured
A Derry Township man was killed Sunday morning when he was thrown from his motorcycle on Route 30 in Derry Township and run over twice, according to police.
Adam Smoker, 30, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office.
His passenger, a 29-year-old Hempfield woman, suffered severe injuries and was taken to UPMC Presbyterian. State police at Greensburg are withholding her name.
Smoker was traveling east on Route 30 in Derry Township in the right lane when the bike went off the road onto the shoulder, which is a raised embankment. The motorcycle traveled about 50 yards and crashed onto its side. The passenger fell onto the shoulder of the road. Smoker fell onto the road in the travel lane of Route 30. When he was lying on the road, he was hit twice by different vehicles.
An autopsy showed the cause of death was blunt force trauma.
Police said the investigation is ongoing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Duquesne University to raise minimum wage floor
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto in Cuba on manufacturing trade mission
- Lawsuit filed against PWSA for inaccurate billing from radio-controlled meter readers
- Land eyed for trail connectors to expand Harrison Hills Park
- Plum schools, dealing with sex scandal, to form panel in June
- Penn Hills votes to sell, lease vacant school space
- Air rifle incidents on the rise, experts say
- Mt. Lebanon police chief to retire, replacement selected
- Aging natural gas pipelines in Green Tree to be replaced
- Former executive says Pittsburgh Urban Redevelopment Authority fired her for reporting overbilling
- Pa. gaming industry’s growth amplifies siren call for addicts