Derry man, 30, killed in motorcycle crash; passenger injured
A Derry Township man was killed Sunday morning when he was thrown from his motorcycle on Route 30 in Derry Township and run over twice, according to police.
Adam Smoker, 30, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office.
His passenger, a 29-year-old Hempfield woman, suffered severe injuries and was taken to UPMC Presbyterian. State police at Greensburg are withholding her name.
Smoker was traveling east on Route 30 in Derry Township in the right lane when the bike went off the road onto the shoulder, which is a raised embankment. The motorcycle traveled about 50 yards and crashed onto its side. The passenger fell onto the shoulder of the road. Smoker fell onto the road in the travel lane of Route 30. When he was lying on the road, he was hit twice by different vehicles.
An autopsy showed the cause of death was blunt force trauma.
Police said the investigation is ongoing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brashear High ‘little libraries’ program rolls out
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Environmental teachers glean new ideas from networking
- Newsmaker: Cindy Marzock
- Pittsburgh fraud case, Uganda-based counterfeiting racket linked
- Second African penguin chick hatches at National Aviary
- The Exchange offers reward for information that leads to the arrest of person who shot Ross clerk
- German firm Nextbike to provide first 500 bikes for Pittsburgh sharing program
- Fall from Hazelwood roof kills man
- DA: Fired Century III Mall manager stole $51K