Derry man, 30, killed in motorcycle crash; passenger injured
A Derry Township man was killed Sunday morning when he was thrown from his motorcycle on Route 30 in Derry Township and run over twice, according to police.
Adam Smoker, 30, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office.
His passenger, a 29-year-old Hempfield woman, suffered severe injuries and was taken to UPMC Presbyterian. State police at Greensburg are withholding her name.
Smoker was traveling east on Route 30 in Derry Township in the right lane when the bike went off the road onto the shoulder, which is a raised embankment. The motorcycle traveled about 50 yards and crashed onto its side. The passenger fell onto the shoulder of the road. Smoker fell onto the road in the travel lane of Route 30. When he was lying on the road, he was hit twice by different vehicles.
An autopsy showed the cause of death was blunt force trauma.
Police said the investigation is ongoing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2014 has been among deadliest for the world’s airline industry
- Residents, search panel refine profile of Pittsburgh police chief
- Pittsburgh police officers reprimanded in Banksville restaurant robbery
- $24M water filter project at Aspinwall treatment plant nears kickoff
- Kaufman Foundation awards research grants to schools, including Pitt, CMU
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Transplant patients in limbo over coverage under UPMC-Highmark pact
- Moon Area board reconfigures elementary buildings, votes again to close school and explore merging with Cornell
- I-79 resurfacing to start in Robinson, Wexford areas
- Newsmaker: Charles H. “Chip” Dougherty Jr.
- Revised anti-nepotism policy lets Allegheny County judges keep family in jobs