Derry man, 30, killed in motorcycle crash; passenger injured
A Derry Township man was killed Sunday morning when he was thrown from his motorcycle on Route 30 in Derry Township and run over twice, according to police.
Adam Smoker, 30, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's Office.
His passenger, a 29-year-old Hempfield woman, suffered severe injuries and was taken to UPMC Presbyterian. State police at Greensburg are withholding her name.
Smoker was traveling east on Route 30 in Derry Township in the right lane when the bike went off the road onto the shoulder, which is a raised embankment. The motorcycle traveled about 50 yards and crashed onto its side. The passenger fell onto the shoulder of the road. Smoker fell onto the road in the travel lane of Route 30. When he was lying on the road, he was hit twice by different vehicles.
An autopsy showed the cause of death was blunt force trauma.
Police said the investigation is ongoing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney
- Region’s Goodwill spends $51.6M in 2014, report says
- Jury acquits man accused of 2005 murder in Braddock
- School choice tax credit expansion bill touted
- Police say ‘person of interest’ in Andre Gray shooting has not been charged
- Washington County school superintendent charged with DUI gets probation
- Newsmaker: Jeff Ritter
- Judge dismisses group’s lawsuit against Neville Island coke plant
- Lawrence County father, son charged with running illegal video gambling machines
- North Fayette company changes defendants in Antonio Brown endorsement lawsuit
- Energetic guest conductor inspires fresh performances