Carlisle's fireworks show again faces cancelation
CARLISLE — Mayor William “Doc” Kronenberg of Carlisle, who estimates about 10,000 people watch the borough's fireworks display each year, says he figures the cost of this year's event could be covered if he can get each fan to pony up $2.50.
“That's less than you pay to go to the movies,” he said.
Kronenberg told borough council last week an additional $9,000 is needed to assure the community's annual fireworks display would be lit off as scheduled at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, July 6, at the Carlisle Fairgrounds.
By Friday afternoon, donations were up from $16,000 to $18,000, Kronenberg said. He said he has been on the phone all day and has come up with some promising leads. The cost of this year's display is $25,000.
The mayor said he's donated $500 on behalf of his business, Smith's Appliance.
Kronenberg said he has until next Wednesday to sign the contract. If he doesn't sign it, he says, the show is canceled.
“We have a great show planned,” he said. “I'd hate to cancel it, but it's not looking good.”
Kronenberg said having a smaller show and using the amount of money raised isn't an option because of agreement with the company. Pyrotecnico of New Castle, was a previous contractor for the borough's display.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- W. Pa. immigration court clogged by case backlog
- Newsmaker: Stacy Butera
- Dairy Queen co-manager in fair condition from crash, hospital officials report
- Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia sued by brother over loan
- Moon Area board reconfigures elementary buildings, votes again to close school and explore merging with Cornell
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- $24M water filter project at Aspinwall treatment plant nears kickoff
- 2014 has been among deadliest for the world’s airline industry
- Newsmaker: Mary Jo Slater
- Newsmaker: Charles H. “Chip” Dougherty Jr.
- Open Streets PGH festival to bring bundle of energy Downtown