Newsmaker: Bernice Curry Brady
By Bob Bauder
Published: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Noteworthy: The Northside Leadership Conference, a coalition of 14 North Side neighborhood groups, honored Brady with a Neighborhood and Business Award for her lifelong work as a community volunteer.
Family: Three adult children, Herman Brady Jr., Diane Brady, Dr. Karen L. Velazquez and a late son, Gregory S. Brady.
Occupation: Retired service representative for AT&T.
Background: Brady has volunteered at the Metropolitan Baptist Church in the North Side since she was a teenager, and helped organize the Metropolitan Soup Kitchen, which serves hundreds of meals to the needy each year. A member of the Fineview Citizens Council, she welcomes new residents to the neighborhood and helps whenever possible with neighborhood improvement efforts.
Education: She is a 1944 graduate of the former Allegheny High School on the North Side.
Quote: “I was very happy to be chosen for this award as a representative for Fineview. I want to thank them for nominating me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Landmark former school in Pittsburgh’s Hill District to incubate startups
- Wuerl tells faithful all Catholics are responsible for schools
- Wilkinsburg woman, 24, dies in crash
- Former PPG executive indicted in fatal N.H. crash
- Post 9/11 veterans lend skills to community leadership course
- Democrats consider Pittsburgh for 2016 national convention
- Trial begins in Steelers stabbing
- Proposal to drill in West Deer and Frazer draws comments from both sides
- 4-car crash near Fox Chapel snarls Route 28 traffic
- Change in kidney allocation rules should help patients
- Garden project unites Homewood through self-sufficiency, veggies