Newsmaker: Bernice Curry Brady
Noteworthy: The Northside Leadership Conference, a coalition of 14 North Side neighborhood groups, honored Brady with a Neighborhood and Business Award for her lifelong work as a community volunteer.
Family: Three adult children, Herman Brady Jr., Diane Brady, Dr. Karen L. Velazquez and a late son, Gregory S. Brady.
Occupation: Retired service representative for AT&T.
Background: Brady has volunteered at the Metropolitan Baptist Church in the North Side since she was a teenager, and helped organize the Metropolitan Soup Kitchen, which serves hundreds of meals to the needy each year. A member of the Fineview Citizens Council, she welcomes new residents to the neighborhood and helps whenever possible with neighborhood improvement efforts.
Education: She is a 1944 graduate of the former Allegheny High School on the North Side.
Quote: “I was very happy to be chosen for this award as a representative for Fineview. I want to thank them for nominating me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Defense witness testifies on video, absent jurors, of cyanide alternatives
- 3 named to new Pittsburgh land bank group
- Lawyer for man accused of Homewood shooting says he acted in self-defense
- Police obtain warrant against North Side 17-year-old in Penn Hills shooting
- Ramps reopen from East Ohio and Heinz streets to northbound Route 28
- Ferrante defense questions recordkeeping of lab that tested cyanide
- Slow-moving train hits car in Lawrenceville
- Boyce Road water main breaks for 3rd time in 3 days
- 32nd District seat in Pa. perceived as pivotal for chamber control
- Franklin and Marshall poll: Corbett narrows lead by Wolf for Pa. governor
- Corbett names Penn Hills businessman to state financing authority