Newsmaker: Bernice Curry Brady
Noteworthy: The Northside Leadership Conference, a coalition of 14 North Side neighborhood groups, honored Brady with a Neighborhood and Business Award for her lifelong work as a community volunteer.
Family: Three adult children, Herman Brady Jr., Diane Brady, Dr. Karen L. Velazquez and a late son, Gregory S. Brady.
Occupation: Retired service representative for AT&T.
Background: Brady has volunteered at the Metropolitan Baptist Church in the North Side since she was a teenager, and helped organize the Metropolitan Soup Kitchen, which serves hundreds of meals to the needy each year. A member of the Fineview Citizens Council, she welcomes new residents to the neighborhood and helps whenever possible with neighborhood improvement efforts.
Education: She is a 1944 graduate of the former Allegheny High School on the North Side.
Quote: “I was very happy to be chosen for this award as a representative for Fineview. I want to thank them for nominating me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Foundation donates $350K to revitalize facades in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods
- Pittsburgh VA director gets more time to appeal firing recommendation
- Allegheny County Council members outspend expense accounts
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Man arrested in connection with string of Route 8 burglaries
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Savvy Service Employees International Union ‘keeps light on’