Newsmaker: Bernice Curry Brady
By Bob Bauder
Published: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Noteworthy: The Northside Leadership Conference, a coalition of 14 North Side neighborhood groups, honored Brady with a Neighborhood and Business Award for her lifelong work as a community volunteer.
Family: Three adult children, Herman Brady Jr., Diane Brady, Dr. Karen L. Velazquez and a late son, Gregory S. Brady.
Occupation: Retired service representative for AT&T.
Background: Brady has volunteered at the Metropolitan Baptist Church in the North Side since she was a teenager, and helped organize the Metropolitan Soup Kitchen, which serves hundreds of meals to the needy each year. A member of the Fineview Citizens Council, she welcomes new residents to the neighborhood and helps whenever possible with neighborhood improvement efforts.
Education: She is a 1944 graduate of the former Allegheny High School on the North Side.
Quote: “I was very happy to be chosen for this award as a representative for Fineview. I want to thank them for nominating me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Fayette mother wants case against bullied son to be dropped
- South Fayette parents express dissatisfaction with handling of bullying
- Legal experts question prosecuting South Fayette boy for recording bullies
- Obama hopes to replicate CCAC job training efforts across U.S.
- Defense experts tell of disease they say claimed 4-month-old from Castle Shannon whose father is charged with homicide
- Allegheny County employees sticking with Highmark to save money, send message
- Methane emission levels by shale natural gas drillers disputed by EPA, researchers
- Several Duquesne homes damaged in fire
- Prepare for increase in PennDOT’s vehicle fees
- Carnegie museum exhibit explores race relations
- Comedian Gallagher gets his money from North Versailles promoter