Newsmaker: Bernice Curry Brady
Noteworthy: The Northside Leadership Conference, a coalition of 14 North Side neighborhood groups, honored Brady with a Neighborhood and Business Award for her lifelong work as a community volunteer.
Family: Three adult children, Herman Brady Jr., Diane Brady, Dr. Karen L. Velazquez and a late son, Gregory S. Brady.
Occupation: Retired service representative for AT&T.
Background: Brady has volunteered at the Metropolitan Baptist Church in the North Side since she was a teenager, and helped organize the Metropolitan Soup Kitchen, which serves hundreds of meals to the needy each year. A member of the Fineview Citizens Council, she welcomes new residents to the neighborhood and helps whenever possible with neighborhood improvement efforts.
Education: She is a 1944 graduate of the former Allegheny High School on the North Side.
Quote: “I was very happy to be chosen for this award as a representative for Fineview. I want to thank them for nominating me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Neighbor arrested after McKeesport house fire, authorities say
- Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- Memorial Day service in National Cemetery of the Alleghenies still growing
- 4 dogs found dead in Beechview home; woman charged
- Man shot while driving through Liberty Tunnel
- Journalist Burzynski found place in public relations, military
- Thrill of the chase: Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Grand jury investigating Plum sex scandal involving possibly 8 students
- Newsmaker: Rich Jones
- Pa. gaming industry’s growth amplifies siren call for addicts