Penn American plans to replace 11 miles of water mains in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County
Pennsylvania American Water plans to replace 11 miles of water mains in the southern areas of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County starting this summer as part of a $19 million project to increase capacity and fix aging pipes.
Work will be performed in Baldwin Borough, Baldwin Township, Bethel Park, Brentwood, Bridgeville, Carnegie, Castle Shannon, Collier, Crafton, Dravosburg, Jefferson Hills, Green Tree, Mt. Lebanon, Mt. Oliver Borough, Munhall, Peters, Pleasant Hills, Scott, South Fayette, West Homestead, West Mifflin, Whitaker and Whitehall.
In Green Tree, the work on Greentree Road is the second phase of an ongoing project to replace underground utilities there, utility spokesman Gary Lobaugh said.
The company will do work in the Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Beechview, Brookline, Carrick, Crafton Heights, Lincoln Place, New Homestead, Overbrook, Sheraden and Westwood.
The company determined which water mains to replace using data about leaks, breaks, low-pressure areas and the age of pipes, as well as customer surveys, Lobaugh said.
During construction, which is expected to be completed by the end of the year if weather allows it, customers might experience temporary service interruptions, discolored water or low water pressure, along with temporary road restrictions as workers unearth and replace pipes.
Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or email@example.com.
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Point Park graduate’s ‘mugshot’ photos hit nerve on racism
- Pittsburgh’s HealthyRide system begins launch Sunday
- Inmate assaults Westmoreland County sheriff’s deputy at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
- Medical examiner: Dormont man found near incline died of multiple injuries
- 11 vying to temporarily fill Danko’s vacant seat on Allegheny County Council
- Allegheny Intermediate Unit to distribute $530,000 in STEAM grants to 28 school districts
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto works to smooth path for business ties with Cuba
- Homicide by vehicle trial of Munhall man Brezicky closes; verdict Monday
- Newsmaker: Ursula Payne
- North Shore access to be limited Saturday for Chesney concert, officials say
- Pittsburgh police arrest Carrick man for Allentown playground shooting