Newsmaker: Virginia Barnes
Noteworthy: The Northside Leadership Conference recognized Barnes for her volunteer work.
Family: Son, John Stovall; three daughters, Patricia Brown, Ellen Page and Norma Jean O'Garro
Occupation: Retired telephone receptionist at Alcosan
Background: Barnes serves on the board of directors at Manchester Citizen Corp. and as an elder and liturgist in Bidwell United Presbyterian Church, where she is a former Sunday School superintendent. She volunteers for the Northside Leadership Conference, Kuntu Repertory Theatre as box office manager and City Theatre as an usher. She weeded the Manchester flower garden for the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy into her 80s.
Education: Ford City High School in Armstrong County; attended the University of Pittsburgh
Quote: “The reason I volunteer now is because it's habit. When you do things like this, it's good for the body, it's good for the mind, and I hope it's good for the spirit. You keep in touch with people.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- Pa. spends millions on death penalty cases that rarely end in execution
- African-American Heritage Day Parade in Pittsburgh draws more than 40 groups
- 17-year-old male killed, 15-year-old female shot in McKeesport
- Pittsburgh police officer hits pedestrian in East Liberty
- Newsmaker: Bob Herbert
- Police: Man steals cash from tip jar at South Side restaurant
- Counter attackers by tossing items, experts advise college students
- 10-county regional transportation alliance to form in Western Pa.
- Police urge caution after several Perry South break-ins