Newsmaker: Alison Colbert
Noteworthy: Colbert has been awarded a year-long fellowship in the Leadership for Academic Nursing Program of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
Residence: Park Place
Family: Husband, Greg Barnhisel; sons, Jack Henry and Beckett.
Occupation: Colbert is an assistant professor and chair of the Graduate Nursing Program at Duquesne University's School of Nursing. She has spent 15 years as a clinical nurse specialist in public and community health, with extensive work in jails, drug and alcohol treatment facilities and community clinics. She was named a Robert Wood Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar in 2010.
Background: As a cub reporter, Colbert covered health issues for a bilingual newspaper in Arizona and soon determined that she wanted to be a nurse.
Education: BA in Journalism, 1993, University of Arizona; MS in Nursing, Community Health, 2000, University of Texas at Austin; Ph.D. in Nursing, 2007, University of Pittsburgh.
Quote: “I wasn't interested in patient care, but then met a nurse and fell in love with the opportunity nursing provides in community care and social justice.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Newsmaker: Rebecca Lane
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy