Newsmaker: Alison Colbert
Noteworthy: Colbert has been awarded a year-long fellowship in the Leadership for Academic Nursing Program of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
Residence: Park Place
Family: Husband, Greg Barnhisel; sons, Jack Henry and Beckett.
Occupation: Colbert is an assistant professor and chair of the Graduate Nursing Program at Duquesne University's School of Nursing. She has spent 15 years as a clinical nurse specialist in public and community health, with extensive work in jails, drug and alcohol treatment facilities and community clinics. She was named a Robert Wood Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar in 2010.
Background: As a cub reporter, Colbert covered health issues for a bilingual newspaper in Arizona and soon determined that she wanted to be a nurse.
Education: BA in Journalism, 1993, University of Arizona; MS in Nursing, Community Health, 2000, University of Texas at Austin; Ph.D. in Nursing, 2007, University of Pittsburgh.
Quote: “I wasn't interested in patient care, but then met a nurse and fell in love with the opportunity nursing provides in community care and social justice.”
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Early morning crash injures two in Marshall
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Police arrest 4 in Lincoln-Lemington following shooting
- 8 Western Pennsylvania municipalities receive state grants to upgrade traffic signals
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Police arrest 4 juveniles allegedly connected to anonymous online school threat
- Search for Duquesne University graduate Kochu continues
- Pittsburgh’s Hill District revitalization project hits financial hurdle in TIF
- Man shot in Allentown home
- Squirrel Hill Tunnel maintenance will cause single lane closure Monday night