Newsmaker: Alison Colbert
Noteworthy: Colbert has been awarded a year-long fellowship in the Leadership for Academic Nursing Program of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
Residence: Park Place
Family: Husband, Greg Barnhisel; sons, Jack Henry and Beckett.
Occupation: Colbert is an assistant professor and chair of the Graduate Nursing Program at Duquesne University's School of Nursing. She has spent 15 years as a clinical nurse specialist in public and community health, with extensive work in jails, drug and alcohol treatment facilities and community clinics. She was named a Robert Wood Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar in 2010.
Background: As a cub reporter, Colbert covered health issues for a bilingual newspaper in Arizona and soon determined that she wanted to be a nurse.
Education: BA in Journalism, 1993, University of Arizona; MS in Nursing, Community Health, 2000, University of Texas at Austin; Ph.D. in Nursing, 2007, University of Pittsburgh.
Quote: “I wasn't interested in patient care, but then met a nurse and fell in love with the opportunity nursing provides in community care and social justice.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Duquense teen to stand trial on charges he shot, killed unborn child
- 2 sentenced for avoiding arrest after Steelers player was stabbed
- 6 cited for trespassing on UPMC property at union rally
- Giant Eagle provides assistance to fight proposed Wal-Mart in McCandless
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Peduto says city dropped UPMC lawsuit to help nonprofit payment talks
- Detour on Bower Hill Road to end Friday
- Most back Holy Family’s plan to house children who crossed border
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- Corbett christens $960K bus shelter, bicycle station in Robinson
- Peduto offers ray of light to understaffed Pittsburgh building bureau