Newsmaker: Ondréa L. Burton
Ondréa L. Burton
Noteworthy: The Alpha Alpha Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. presented Burton with its Supporters of the Village Award. The leadership and public service sorority presents the awards to people and organizations who make exceptional efforts to support the black community.
Family: Daughter, Avani, 15
Occupation: Burton is manager of events and donations in the Allegheny County Department of Human Services' Office of Community Relations.
Background: Burton has worked for the Department of Human Services for 10 years, including three years working with homeless programs in the Office of Community Services and seven years in community relations. She spearheads several notable events during the year, such as Project Prom, which provides a store where eligible teens can shop for a free prom dress.
Education: Burton studied sociology at the University of Pittsburgh and communications at Robert Morris University.
Quote: “If you treat people the way they want to be treated, ultimately, we're all blessed.”
— Brian Bowling
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- $11M gift from Hillman to help CMU attract faculty, support students
- Plum school board asks why tip line was removed from student handbook
- $9M sought to finish turning Penn Circle in Pittsburgh to two-way streets
- Pittsburgh agencies to weigh renovating Civic Building, relocating
- Panel that oversees Pittsburgh’s finances lacks quorum as deadline to vote on budget nears
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- Lady Luck found joy in family, bingo, dancing the polka
- Newsmaker: Helen Carson
- Shell, Center water authority reach agreement on relocating water source
- Philadelphia murder suspect nabbed in Braddock
- Roads to close on Pittsburgh’s North Side this weekend