TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Mushrooms sprout in Bridgeville apartment in rain's aftermath

Keith Hodan | Tribune-Review - Mushrooms and mold spring forth from a damp carpet in the Hickman House apartment building in Bridgeville, Tuesday, July 16, 2013.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Keith Hodan  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>Mushrooms and mold spring forth from a damp carpet in the Hickman House apartment building in Bridgeville, Tuesday, July 16, 2013.
Keith Hodan | Tribune-Review - Mushrooms and mold spring forth from a damp carpet in the Hickman House apartment building in Bridgeville, Tuesday, July 16, 2013.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Keith Hodan  |  Tribune-Review</em></div>Mushrooms and mold spring forth from a damp carpet in the Hickman House apartment building in Bridgeville, Tuesday, July 16, 2013.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 11:03 p.m.
 

Maurice Lucas likes his mushrooms fried, not growing out of his carpet.

Lucas, who lives in Hickman Apartments on Hickman Street in Bridgeville, said fungi sprouted in the hall outside his basement-level apartment after last week's heavy rain washed into the building. He noticed them Sunday morning when he left for work, he said.

“When I came back later in the day, they were still pretty small,” Lucas said. “The next day, they got bigger.” He tried to treat them with baking soda.

Damp conditions and warm weather created ideal conditions for the 'shrooms, said Dick Dogall, past president of the Western Pennsylvania Mushroom Club.

“Mushrooms are composters,” Dogall said. “Anything they can compost is a possibility, so it's not surprising. You have to get the right temperature and moisture conditions.”

Lucas said he contacted the building management, Lobos Management, three times about dampness since Wednesday's rain.

Lobos did not return calls from the Tribune-Review.

Dogall said the mushrooms are relatively harmless — only 10 to 15 percent of mushrooms in the wild are harmful.

“It's highly unlikely something like that would be something in a house,” he said. “The spores are around and conditions are right and they just fruited.”

Lucas isn't taking chances. He said the mold and dampness prompted him to contact the Allegheny County Health Department, and he made an appointment with an inspector Friday.

He said wet conditions have affected the apartment building before.

“It's just getting really frustrating,” he said.

Megan Guza is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5810 or mguza@tribweb.com.

Add Megan Guza to your Google+ circles.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Allegheny

  1. Carnegie Mellon University’s Speck device monitors indoor pollution
  2. New Castle-area racino remains in limbo
  3. ‘Swing Night’ has feel of Prohibiton-era dance hall
  4. 17 Pennsylvania veterans inducted into Hall of Valor
  5. Shortfalls sabotage promise of union retirees’ pensions
  6. Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
  7. Newsmaker: Sharna Olfman
  8. Edgeworth man pleads guilty in bank fraud conspiracy
  9. Columbia Gas plans $5.4M upgrade project in Upper St. Clair
  10. Washington County school superintendent charged with DUI gets probation
  11. Scaife additions to elevate status of two museums