Polish Hill Catholic church blaze damage small, pastor claims
The pastor of a Polish Hill church that caught fire when lightning struck a cross atop its main dome said Wednesday that minimal damage to the historic building “is a blessing” and a credit to firefighters.
“I have no doubt that this could have been much, much worse for us,” said the Rev. Joe Swierczynski, 75, pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church on Brereton Avenue for the last 18 years.
“The firefighters were here in minutes, and they did an absolutely amazing job of keeping the fire from spreading and not doing any damage as they came through here to get up into the dome,” he said.
The fire broke out Tuesday evening and smoldered in the narrow crawl space between the dome's interior plaster ceiling and the copper-clad exterior. Firefighters first hauled pressurized, portable fire extinguishers, or “water cans,” up wooden ladders in a narrow channel accessed from a loft storage room, Swierczynski said.
Firefighters pulled several hundred feet of hose through the church and up into the dome while an aerial ladder truck allowed other firefighters to gain access from outside.
City fire Chief Darryl Jones said firefighters followed “standard practice to protect property.”
“So whenever we can, we try to spread salvage tarps to prevent additional damage. Sometimes we get lucky and are able to minimize damage from water and smoke.”
Swierczynski celebrated a “Mass of thanks” with a handful of parishioners early Wednesday. One of them held a flashlight for the priest to see Bible readings because the electricity was shut off during the fire.
Until the power is turned back on and fire restoration consultants give the go-ahead to use the church, the pastor plans to celebrate Mass outdoors under a tent set up for Saturday's church festival, which will go on as scheduled.
No weddings are scheduled until Aug. 10.
This is the second church in the city that was closed this month because of damage.
On July 12, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh ordered that St. Mary of the Mount Church in Mt. Washington not be used until the deteriorating ceiling in the 100-year-old structure on Grandview Avenue is repaired.
Don Bair of G.S. Jones Fire Restoration in Emsworth said his initial assessment of the ethnic Polish church — built by immigrants between 1904 and 1906 — found only charred timbers.
“They (firefighters) did a good job of putting the fire out quickly and getting tarpaulins down to minimize water damage. Otherwise, it could have been an incredible mess in here,” Bair said.
On Wednesday afternoon, the only visible signs of the fire were a wet spot between church pews and a small puddle of murky water on a plastic tarp placed in the center of the building some 21 stories below the main dome. A tiny trap door leading from inside the dome to the outside was damaged and had to be covered with plastic to prevent rain from entering the building, Bair said.
Jones set the initial damage estimate at $40,000.
Swierczynski said insurance should cover most of the cost of cleanup and repairs to the dome, which was refurbished — inside and out — several years ago at a cost of more than $40,000.
Tony LaRussa is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7987 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Construction to affect Parkway West Thursday, Friday
- Controversial McKeesport building destroyed by fire
- Firefighter hurt in 3-alarm fire at Jefferson Hills restaurant
- Pennsylvania religious freedom law does not extend to for-profits
- None hurt in Duquesne house fire
- Arrivals from Paris soon will avoid extra screening at Pittsburgh International
- Planned Uptown revival priority for City of Pittsburgh
- Lawrence County father, son charged with running illegal video gambling machines
- Ex-prosecutor concerned with latest Pa. child abuse findings
- North Versailles couple faults construction company for damage to property
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of union retirees’ pensions