Moon teen dies after being struck by vehicle while riding bike
A Moon teenager who was washing dishes for the summer before starting nursing classes at Carlow University died early Sunday as a result of a biking accident on her way to work.
Emily Jancart, 17, who recently graduated from Our Lady of the Sacred Heart High School in Moon, was biking to work at the Edgeworth Club in Sewickley when the accident happened about 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
“The paramedics called me from her phone, and when it rang, I thought maybe she had forgotten something for work and needed us to bring it down,” said her mother, Rosemary Jancart. “She enjoyed people and would have made a great nurse. She had a love for it.”
Moon police said a vehicle struck the teen's bike on University Boulevard near the Sewickley Bridge. The driver of the vehicle, a 27-year-old man whose identity police did not release, remained at the scene and was not injured. He has not been charged and is cooperating with the investigation by Moon police, investigators said.
A Valley Ambulance crew took Jancart to Allegheny General Hospital, North Side, where she died about 4 a.m. of head injuries.
She did not have a driver's license and was “just getting her legs under her” as a bicyclist, Rosemary Jancart said.
She described her daughter as outgoing but also studious and of a strong faith. Emily belonged to St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church in Moon.
Aside from her mother, she is survived by her father, Robert Jancart, her sister, Grace, and brothers Karl and Stephen.
Thomas Olson is a Trib Total Media staff writer. He can be reached at 412-320-7854 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- County police officer on leave after assault charges filed
- Flooded out of Big Easy, veterinarian builds new life in Lawrenceville
- Gunfire wounds man near Riverview Park
- Civil War vet gets 21-gun salute
- One person taken to hospital after fire in Scott
- Allegheny County Airport gets FAA grant to trim trees under flight path
- Teen caught after stolen car crashes in Homewood
- Port Authority of Allegheny County eyes $2M in detour costs
- Man convicted in North Side stabbing
- Pa. trooper jailed in co-worker’s fatal shooting during training class