Newsmaker: Mary M. Mallampalli
Noteworthy: Mallampalli this month was named a Fellow of the Pearson Prize for Higher Education. The honor comes with a $1,000 award that honors her outreach to communities in the city. The California-based Pearson Foundation grants the annual award to 100 students nationwide.
Family: Parents, Rama and Anne Mallampalli of Franklin Park; siblings, Daniel, 18, Grace, 17, and Peter, 13.
Occupation: A rising senior at the University of Pittsburgh, Mallampalli is majoring in Spanish, political science and philosophy at in the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences.
Background: Mallampalli, 21, was student chairwoman for the Pitt Make a Difference Day on Oct. 20, 2012, helping lead more than 3,000 students at about 60 community-service sites. As community-outreach chairwoman for the Pitt Student Government Board, she has worked with Oakland residents and Pitt students to address tensions over litter and loud partying. She also works with FUSE Pittsburgh, a local group that encourages literacy among urban youth.
Education: North Allegheny Senior High School graduate, Class of 2010.
Quote: “Relationships within each neighborhood are very strong, but I want to see more of a connection citywide between neighborhoods and between people of different racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Winter weather advisory for Western Pa. in effect until Monday afternoon
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Homestead struggles to pick up pieces left by devastating fire
- Commander: City police working to improve accountability
- Man arrested in massive Homestead fire
- Tribune-Review photojournalist Goldband wins 1st place in national competition
- Newsmaker: Jeff Reinbold
- Flood victims’ family to receive $1.5M in damages
- Missing Shaler man dealt with family losses