Newsmaker: Mary M. Mallampalli
Noteworthy: Mallampalli this month was named a Fellow of the Pearson Prize for Higher Education. The honor comes with a $1,000 award that honors her outreach to communities in the city. The California-based Pearson Foundation grants the annual award to 100 students nationwide.
Family: Parents, Rama and Anne Mallampalli of Franklin Park; siblings, Daniel, 18, Grace, 17, and Peter, 13.
Occupation: A rising senior at the University of Pittsburgh, Mallampalli is majoring in Spanish, political science and philosophy at in the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences.
Background: Mallampalli, 21, was student chairwoman for the Pitt Make a Difference Day on Oct. 20, 2012, helping lead more than 3,000 students at about 60 community-service sites. As community-outreach chairwoman for the Pitt Student Government Board, she has worked with Oakland residents and Pitt students to address tensions over litter and loud partying. She also works with FUSE Pittsburgh, a local group that encourages literacy among urban youth.
Education: North Allegheny Senior High School graduate, Class of 2010.
Quote: “Relationships within each neighborhood are very strong, but I want to see more of a connection citywide between neighborhoods and between people of different racial and socioeconomic backgrounds.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh zoo receives $9M gift — largest ever — from Mellon Foundation
- Upper St. Clair lifeguard ordered to stand trial for rape of female lifeguard
- North Hills transit service limits lamented
- Downtown Pittsburgh Macy’s donates bits of history
- Former employee at Plum home-building firm charged with embezzling nearly $200K
- Founder of Operation Safety Net in Pittsburgh named one of CNN’s 2015 Top 10 Heroes
- Pittsburgh offers Enright Parklet as bargaining chip in East Liberty development talks
- 30 federal prisoners in W.Pa. on list for early release; 27 in Pittsburgh
- Audit city of Pittsburgh as well as ICA, top GOP legislators advise
- West Virginia University’s study uncovered Volkswagen emission plot
- 2 men arrested at UPMC McKeesport on charges of endangering teens