Newsmaker: Steven B. Shivak
Noteworthy: Appointed this summer to serve on the board of directors for the Spina Bifida Association of Western Pennsylvania
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Wife, Jody; children, Sarah, 9, and Alex, 6
Education: Bachelor's degree in public relations from Illinois State University; master's of science degree from Robert Morris University
Occupation: President of the SMC Business Councils and its for-profit subsidiary, SMC Insurance Agency, providing leadership for both organizations and a staff of 20
Background: Formerly served as executive director for the American Diabetes Association of Western Pennsylvania and the Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group. He was vice president of operations for the Pittsburgh Technology Council.
Quote: “So many nonprofits don't have a lot of local ties, but here, parents, children, extended families — they're included in everything we do. This group is actually doing something for Pittsburgh, delivering a hands-on touch to directly make a difference in the lives of people affected by spina bifida. That's something powerful I wanted to be a part of.”
— Megan Harris
Add Megan Harris to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’
- Environmental teachers glean new ideas from networking
- Newsmaker: Cindy Marzock
- The Exchange offers reward for information that leads to the arrest of person who shot Ross clerk
- Pittsburgh fraud case, Uganda-based counterfeiting racket linked
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Second African penguin chick hatches at National Aviary
- WVU frat brothers charged with hazing pledges
- Brentwood vigil marks death of black motorist 19 years ago, other deaths
- Lawyer quits Scaife case over possible conflict as PNC defends distributions
- Motivation in slaying of Penn Hills couple remains unclear