Newsmaker: Richard Daffner
Notable: Daffner, who retired two months ago from Allegheny General Hospital, has just published the fourth edition of “Clinical Radiology, The Essentials.” The book's first edition was published in 1979. The 500-page book, which is used at the University of Pittsburgh's medical school, is a primer for medical students and medical residents and covers the entire field of diagnostic radiology. Matthew Hartman, a radiologist at AGH, is a co-author of the book and will update it for future editions. The new edition is the first that offers supplemental online content.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife; Alva; sons, Marc and Scott.
Education: Daffner graduated from the Albany College of Pharmacy and earned a medical degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo, specializing in radiology.
Daffner, who worked and taught at AGH for 30 years, developed the book from a series of lectures he gave to medical students.
Quote: “I had a lecture series. Someone said it was pretty good and that I should write it down. I did. This particular edition represents an overhaul of the previous one. I think the book has gotten better over the years. A lot has changed with the science of radiology.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh poised to settle lawsuits from deadly flash flood in 2011
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Pittsburgh councilwoman introduces pair of bills to protect animals
- Risks don’t get any better as online dating prospers
- 2 Brentwood council members keep positions, council approves third resignation
- Bettis lab, 4 others receive new name
- Newsmaker: John Malone
- Board members bring business attitude to nonprofit August Wilson
- 3 Brentwood council members submit resignation letters
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Wilkinsburg School District hires embattled Penn Hills business affairs director