Newsmaker: Richard Daffner
Notable: Daffner, who retired two months ago from Allegheny General Hospital, has just published the fourth edition of “Clinical Radiology, The Essentials.” The book's first edition was published in 1979. The 500-page book, which is used at the University of Pittsburgh's medical school, is a primer for medical students and medical residents and covers the entire field of diagnostic radiology. Matthew Hartman, a radiologist at AGH, is a co-author of the book and will update it for future editions. The new edition is the first that offers supplemental online content.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife; Alva; sons, Marc and Scott.
Education: Daffner graduated from the Albany College of Pharmacy and earned a medical degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo, specializing in radiology.
Daffner, who worked and taught at AGH for 30 years, developed the book from a series of lectures he gave to medical students.
Quote: “I had a lecture series. Someone said it was pretty good and that I should write it down. I did. This particular edition represents an overhaul of the previous one. I think the book has gotten better over the years. A lot has changed with the science of radiology.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Downtown holiday parade festive, but weather dampens turnout
- Man surrenders after standoff in Middle Hill
- Pet chiropractic more popular in Western Pa., but doubts linger
- Group urges Port Authority of Allegheny County to fund more transit routes
- Pittsburgh nonprofit 412 Food Rescue takes surplus food to needy
- Shooting of Pittsburgh cab driver spotlights risks of profession
- Renovation planned for blighted homes in Garfield
- Garfield gallery ModernFormations closes after 15 years as neighborhood anchor
- Forbes Road Career and Technology Center students restore vehicle that will be donated
- Newsmaker: Tyra Oliver