Newsmaker: Richard Daffner
Notable: Daffner, who retired two months ago from Allegheny General Hospital, has just published the fourth edition of “Clinical Radiology, The Essentials.” The book's first edition was published in 1979. The 500-page book, which is used at the University of Pittsburgh's medical school, is a primer for medical students and medical residents and covers the entire field of diagnostic radiology. Matthew Hartman, a radiologist at AGH, is a co-author of the book and will update it for future editions. The new edition is the first that offers supplemental online content.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife; Alva; sons, Marc and Scott.
Education: Daffner graduated from the Albany College of Pharmacy and earned a medical degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo, specializing in radiology.
Daffner, who worked and taught at AGH for 30 years, developed the book from a series of lectures he gave to medical students.
Quote: “I had a lecture series. Someone said it was pretty good and that I should write it down. I did. This particular edition represents an overhaul of the previous one. I think the book has gotten better over the years. A lot has changed with the science of radiology.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pa. Monuments license plates revenue to help maintain Gettysburg monuments
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millennials
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since discrimination lawsuit
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks among world’s best
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Pitt, city officials inspecting student housing in Oakland
- Water main break in Hill District unlikely to affect nearby school