Newsmaker: Richard Daffner
Notable: Daffner, who retired two months ago from Allegheny General Hospital, has just published the fourth edition of “Clinical Radiology, The Essentials.” The book's first edition was published in 1979. The 500-page book, which is used at the University of Pittsburgh's medical school, is a primer for medical students and medical residents and covers the entire field of diagnostic radiology. Matthew Hartman, a radiologist at AGH, is a co-author of the book and will update it for future editions. The new edition is the first that offers supplemental online content.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife; Alva; sons, Marc and Scott.
Education: Daffner graduated from the Albany College of Pharmacy and earned a medical degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo, specializing in radiology.
Daffner, who worked and taught at AGH for 30 years, developed the book from a series of lectures he gave to medical students.
Quote: “I had a lecture series. Someone said it was pretty good and that I should write it down. I did. This particular edition represents an overhaul of the previous one. I think the book has gotten better over the years. A lot has changed with the science of radiology.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VA promotion for administrator stuns legislator
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- Prosecutors say cyanide-death defendant Ferrante tested toxin on mice to gauge effect on human
- Peduto, Harris compromise on $1.6M for North Side community center
- Police arrest 8, cite more than 2 dozen after riots in Morgantown
- Newsmaker: Mary Barkhymer
- Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office asked to prosecute case alleging assault of Allegheny County assistant district attorney
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- WHO faulted as Ebola failure; U.S. ‘coordinator’ named
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods