Newmaker: Nicole McAfoose
Noteworthy: McAfoose put together an event that involved National Guard members donating board games and money to Children's Hospital. Fourteen guardsmen then paid the children a visit, playing the games with them.
Family: Husband, Myke McAfoose, and sons, Aiden, 8, and Carter, 3.
Occupation: McAfoose is a full-time command post controller for the 171st Air Refueling Wing in Findlay. Command post controllers gather, analyze and communicate information to support the base's operations and manage emergency and rescue communications with outside agencies.
Background: When she took one of her sons to Children's Hospital this spring, she remembered her own experience being there when she was 6 with a kidney infection. So she organized the fundraiser, collecting $500 and several new board games, in addition to asking the guardsmen to visit the children. She now plans to hold the event every year.
Education: Bachelor's degree in marketing from Slippery Rock University.
Quote: “We went (to Children's) and spent a day with the children playing games. We gave them dog tags and medals for being brave and just had a great day.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bishop Zubik visits Mooncrest Community Center
- Former Pittsburgh mayoral candidate sentenced to prison for bogus 911 calls
- Pittsburgh considering legislation to ban drone activity from city parks, playgrounds
- 30 federal prisoners in W.Pa. on list for early release; 27 in Pittsburgh
- Police looking for man who sexually assaulted Squirrel Hill woman
- Former employee at Plum home-building firm charged with embezzling nearly $200K
- Sky’s not the limit: Pirate Parrot takes trip into Earth’s atmosphere
- Pittsburgh’s North Shore traffic gets critical look
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- Friends say Baldwin Borough couple in murder-suicide was depressed
- Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission meeting on plans for work on area near Pittsburgh short on details