Newmaker: Nicole McAfoose
Noteworthy: McAfoose put together an event that involved National Guard members donating board games and money to Children's Hospital. Fourteen guardsmen then paid the children a visit, playing the games with them.
Family: Husband, Myke McAfoose, and sons, Aiden, 8, and Carter, 3.
Occupation: McAfoose is a full-time command post controller for the 171st Air Refueling Wing in Findlay. Command post controllers gather, analyze and communicate information to support the base's operations and manage emergency and rescue communications with outside agencies.
Background: When she took one of her sons to Children's Hospital this spring, she remembered her own experience being there when she was 6 with a kidney infection. So she organized the fundraiser, collecting $500 and several new board games, in addition to asking the guardsmen to visit the children. She now plans to hold the event every year.
Education: Bachelor's degree in marketing from Slippery Rock University.
Quote: “We went (to Children's) and spent a day with the children playing games. We gave them dog tags and medals for being brave and just had a great day.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Search for Duquesne University graduate Kochu continues
- Man shot in Allentown home
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Alliance aims to transform vacant parcel in St. Clair to include townhouses, urban farming
- Pittsburgh’s Hill District revitalization project hits financial hurdle in TIF
- Garfield residents plan rally over Bottom Dollar site
- Fatal fire under investigation in New Castle
- Carnegie skatepark set to close for the season
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’