Newmaker: Nicole McAfoose
Noteworthy: McAfoose put together an event that involved National Guard members donating board games and money to Children's Hospital. Fourteen guardsmen then paid the children a visit, playing the games with them.
Family: Husband, Myke McAfoose, and sons, Aiden, 8, and Carter, 3.
Occupation: McAfoose is a full-time command post controller for the 171st Air Refueling Wing in Findlay. Command post controllers gather, analyze and communicate information to support the base's operations and manage emergency and rescue communications with outside agencies.
Background: When she took one of her sons to Children's Hospital this spring, she remembered her own experience being there when she was 6 with a kidney infection. So she organized the fundraiser, collecting $500 and several new board games, in addition to asking the guardsmen to visit the children. She now plans to hold the event every year.
Education: Bachelor's degree in marketing from Slippery Rock University.
Quote: “We went (to Children's) and spent a day with the children playing games. We gave them dog tags and medals for being brave and just had a great day.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Teachers’ roles evolve as districts rely more on computers
- Amid tears, but with resolve, Oakmont church members vow to rebuild from fire
- Medical research labs pinched by falling federal funding
- Pitt professor’s UV technology destined for Mars in 2020
- Legally blind Pirates fan hangs on every play, has kept score for decades
- Squirrel Hill pantry volunteer’s donation eases struggles for families
- Newsmaker: Prince Matthews
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Health department sets 1st of 13 public meetings
- Duquesne Light hires new operations vice president
- Water service restored to CMU campus