Newmaker: Nicole McAfoose
Noteworthy: McAfoose put together an event that involved National Guard members donating board games and money to Children's Hospital. Fourteen guardsmen then paid the children a visit, playing the games with them.
Family: Husband, Myke McAfoose, and sons, Aiden, 8, and Carter, 3.
Occupation: McAfoose is a full-time command post controller for the 171st Air Refueling Wing in Findlay. Command post controllers gather, analyze and communicate information to support the base's operations and manage emergency and rescue communications with outside agencies.
Background: When she took one of her sons to Children's Hospital this spring, she remembered her own experience being there when she was 6 with a kidney infection. So she organized the fundraiser, collecting $500 and several new board games, in addition to asking the guardsmen to visit the children. She now plans to hold the event every year.
Education: Bachelor's degree in marketing from Slippery Rock University.
Quote: “We went (to Children's) and spent a day with the children playing games. We gave them dog tags and medals for being brave and just had a great day.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State police probe trooper’s arrest at Pittsburgh wedding
- Unions warn of problems with referrals outside Veterans Affairs system
- Close vote expected on posting restaurant grades in Allegheny County
- University, Pittsburgh officials inspect student housing in Oakland
- Nearly 1 in 10 has had identity stolen, RMU poll finds
- Newsmaker: Master Sgt. Edward Altmeyer
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Pa. Monuments license plates revenue to help maintain Gettysburg monuments
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks among world’s best
- Newsmaker: Rebecca Lane