Mourners remember 2 Ohio Township women killed in car crash near Crawford County line
Family and friends mourned the deaths of two Ohio Township women killed Friday in a car crash near the Crawford County line.
State troopers said Saturday that Robert J. Neubert II, 62, of Amherst, N.Y., lost control of his southbound Dodge Challenger for unknown reasons and crossed the Interstate 79 median at 5:43 p.m..
His car traveled several hundred feet on the highway and then veered into a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze being driven northbound by Susan L. Thomas, 54.
Thomas, a certified school nurse at the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children and passenger Mary Grace Carmody, 44, of Sewickley were pulled from their overturned car and died at the scene, state police said. Neubert died in a nearby hospital.
Thomas was traveling to visit a daughter who attended Edinboro University. She took along Carmody, a friend, family members told the Tribune-Review.
“Susan was beloved by so many people,” said Dan Ruoff, 54, her cousin from Jeannette. “She always had a smile on her face.”
Carmody was the manager of Sunny Jim's Tavern along Camp Horne Road in Kilbuck, bartender Sarah Outly said.
She said Carmody once gave her the shirt off her back, a Pirates shirt so Outly could wear it to a game.
“She was beautiful. She always put others before herself. She was a networker and a half. She knew people for miles and miles and miles, and was loved by every single one of them,” Outly said.
Carmody underwent eye surgery on Tuesday after struggling with vision problems, including cataracts, and was legally blind, Outly said, adding that her family had been in the restaurant business for years and had owned Carmody's Restaurant in Franklin Park.
Funeral arrangements for the women were pending.
Bill Vidonic and Carl Prine are staff writers for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police detain 3 juveniles they think are connected to anonymous online school threat
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Search for Duquesne University graduate Kochu continues
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Garfield residents plan rally over Bottom Dollar site
- Pittsburgh’s Hill District revitalization project hits financial hurdle in TIF
- Squirrel Hill Tunnel maintenance will cause single lane closure Monday night
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Man shot in Allentown home
- Alliance aims to transform vacant parcel in St. Clair to include townhouses, urban farming
- Carnegie skatepark set to close for the season