Security added at LA Fitness in Collier
A man who worked out at LA Fitness in Collier harassed an employee and carried two handguns in his gym bag, prompting the facility to add security, officials said.
Collier police Chief Thomas Devin said LA Fitness on Washington Pike requested security in response to an incident last week. No criminal charges were filed.
Officers went to the gym on Wednesday night when an employee reported the alleged harassment. Devin said police questioned the gym member, whose identity he would not release, and found the handguns in his gym bag. Both were registered to the man, who had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
Police arranged for an involuntary mental health commitment for the man. Doctors evaluated him Friday and released him.
Devin said an on-duty officer will be stationed at the gym during operating hours for an undetermined length of time.
“They want us there for the time being,” he said.
He said LA Fitness revoked the man's gym membership and that other businesses in the shopping center previously banned him. The police department intends to ban the man from the entire shopping center, Devin said.
The gym was the site of a 2009 mass shooting that killed three women and injured nine.
The shooter, George Sodini of Scott, fatally shot himself.
Megan Guza is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Add Megan Guza to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney
- Jury acquits man accused of 2005 murder in Braddock
- Region’s Goodwill spends $51.6M in 2014, report says
- North Fayette company changes defendants in Antonio Brown endorsement lawsuit
- Police say ‘person of interest’ in Andre Gray shooting has not been charged
- Judge dismisses group’s lawsuit against Neville Island coke plant
- Lawrence County father, son charged with running illegal video gambling machines
- Newsmaker: Jeff Ritter
- Energetic guest conductor inspires fresh performances
- Washington County school superintendent charged with DUI gets probation
- Man briefly charged with killing Larimer man last year