Newsmaker: Michael Tassotto
Noteworthy: Tassotto is one of 56 educators nationwide to receive the 2013 Educator of the Year award from the Association for Residents in Radiation Oncology. The award recognizes outstanding teachers and mentors of radiation oncology residents.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Wife, Mary Lynn; children, Matthias, 12, and Maria, 9.
Occupation: Medical physicist for Allegheny Health Network since 2011.
Background: Previously was a medical physicist at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Center in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Education: Went through three years of university training at the University of Magdeburg in Germany, graduating in 1993. Obtained a master's degree in physics from Oregon State University in 1996, and a doctorate in physics from Oregon State University in 2001.
Quote: “It feels good to get recognition for positive changes that were made over the last two years in our radiation oncology teaching program. The credit should go not only to me, but to our entire team, Bryan Coopey and Mark Johnson.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Millions in pollution fines went unused for decades in Allegheny County
- Group’s proposed fracking moratorium for Allegheny County parks to go on council agenda
- Rare surgery helps woman beat paralysis
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank adds chief financial officer Lutovsky
- Girl, 12, rescues 4-year-old sister from burning house in Homestead
- Apartment development outlined for former Schenley High School in Pittsburgh
- Reading Harry Potter provides clues to brain activity, CMU researchers say
- Dinners, other Thanksgiving events planned in region
- Newsmaker: Daniel Eichinger
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site