Newsmaker: Michael Tassotto
Noteworthy: Tassotto is one of 56 educators nationwide to receive the 2013 Educator of the Year award from the Association for Residents in Radiation Oncology. The award recognizes outstanding teachers and mentors of radiation oncology residents.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Wife, Mary Lynn; children, Matthias, 12, and Maria, 9.
Occupation: Medical physicist for Allegheny Health Network since 2011.
Background: Previously was a medical physicist at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Center in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Education: Went through three years of university training at the University of Magdeburg in Germany, graduating in 1993. Obtained a master's degree in physics from Oregon State University in 1996, and a doctorate in physics from Oregon State University in 2001.
Quote: “It feels good to get recognition for positive changes that were made over the last two years in our radiation oncology teaching program. The credit should go not only to me, but to our entire team, Bryan Coopey and Mark Johnson.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Brashear High ‘little libraries’ program rolls out
- Environmental teachers glean new ideas from networking
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’
- Newsmaker: Cindy Marzock
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- German firm Nextbike to provide first 500 bikes for Pittsburgh sharing program
- Thanks to $75K grant, startup to bring food to underserved in Pittsburgh
- Motivation in slaying of Penn Hills couple remains unclear
- Newsmaker: Enrique Mu
- 3 Pittsburgh police supervisors promoted to rank of commander