Newsmaker: Michael Tassotto
Noteworthy: Tassotto is one of 56 educators nationwide to receive the 2013 Educator of the Year award from the Association for Residents in Radiation Oncology. The award recognizes outstanding teachers and mentors of radiation oncology residents.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Wife, Mary Lynn; children, Matthias, 12, and Maria, 9.
Occupation: Medical physicist for Allegheny Health Network since 2011.
Background: Previously was a medical physicist at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Center in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Education: Went through three years of university training at the University of Magdeburg in Germany, graduating in 1993. Obtained a master's degree in physics from Oregon State University in 1996, and a doctorate in physics from Oregon State University in 2001.
Quote: “It feels good to get recognition for positive changes that were made over the last two years in our radiation oncology teaching program. The credit should go not only to me, but to our entire team, Bryan Coopey and Mark Johnson.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 boys who received transplants at Children’s Hospital progress to sunnier days
- Plum school board berated for pulling back on new school
- $11.13M project to close section of Pittsburgh’s Mifflin Road
- Children’s Hospital’s top doctor leaving for Washington University School of Medicine
- PennDOT team decides what spells trouble on vehicle license plates
- Film shares tale of Pittsburgh man who turned disability into career
- La Scuola d’Italia Galileo Galilei touts Pittsburgh’s Italian heritage
- Newsmaker: Jeff Pollock
- Allegheny County to increase restaurant penalties
- Higher school taxes prevail in Western Pennsylvania, Trib finds
- Allegheny County Council aims to dig out of hole