Newsmaker: Michael Tassotto
Noteworthy: Tassotto is one of 56 educators nationwide to receive the 2013 Educator of the Year award from the Association for Residents in Radiation Oncology. The award recognizes outstanding teachers and mentors of radiation oncology residents.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Wife, Mary Lynn; children, Matthias, 12, and Maria, 9.
Occupation: Medical physicist for Allegheny Health Network since 2011.
Background: Previously was a medical physicist at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Center in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Education: Went through three years of university training at the University of Magdeburg in Germany, graduating in 1993. Obtained a master's degree in physics from Oregon State University in 1996, and a doctorate in physics from Oregon State University in 2001.
Quote: “It feels good to get recognition for positive changes that were made over the last two years in our radiation oncology teaching program. The credit should go not only to me, but to our entire team, Bryan Coopey and Mark Johnson.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- One injured in shooting on city’s North Side
- Transportation challenges rife as Pittsburgh focuses on making fixes
- Montour Trail gets needed updates
- Transportation funding uncertainty impacts planning for Western Pa.
- Police confiscated cellphone of driver who struck 7-year-old girl Thursday
- Lawsuit: Pittsburgh Public Schools should have known officer was abusing boys
- Newsmaker: Derek Wesley
- Development could soon be booming in West End
- Highmark asks patients to ‘Meet Dr. Right’
- Teachers union advises lawyers for colleagues of Plum pair investigated on sex charges
- Heroin overdoses kill two in Pittsburgh area; others revived with Narcan