Newsmaker: Laura Ellsworth
Noteworthy: Ellsworth, partner-in-charge of the Pittsburgh office of the Jones Day law firm, was named the 2013 Greater Pittsburgh Athena Award winner. The Athena Award honors local women in business.
Residence: Diamond Run
Family: Husband: Bruce; son: Matthew
Background: Ellsworth is vice chair of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, chair of the Pennsylvania Economy League of Greater Pittsburgh and chair of the United Way Women's Leadership Council.
Education: J.D. magna cum laude from University of Pittsburgh, 1983; B.A. in U.S. history and Japanese art history from Princeton University, 1980.
Quote: “(The Athena Award) was a great reaffirmation of the fact that our true purpose on this earth is to serve others and to grow the next generation, whether that be within our own business, within our own community or within our own family.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 7 percent in Allegheny County allowed to carry concealed gun
- Council votes to ban tobacco use in Pittsburgh parks
- ‘Ambitious goal’ set for reducing HIV infections in Allegheny County
- Pittsburgh region’s philanthropic sector at top of nation’s pack
- Mt. Lebanon puts temporary halt on deer kill
- Merged United Way to reveal 5-year plan aimed at Western Pa. children
- Group reports ethnically charged comments in Moroccan taxi driver’s Hazelwood shooting
- Ex-recreation director settles age discrimination lawsuit against Pittsburgh
- Allegheny County park facility reservations going online
- Pet chiropractic more popular in Western Pa., but doubts linger
- Lane restrictions announced for portion of Route 28