Newsmaker: Laura Ellsworth
Noteworthy: Ellsworth, partner-in-charge of the Pittsburgh office of the Jones Day law firm, was named the 2013 Greater Pittsburgh Athena Award winner. The Athena Award honors local women in business.
Residence: Diamond Run
Family: Husband: Bruce; son: Matthew
Background: Ellsworth is vice chair of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, chair of the Pennsylvania Economy League of Greater Pittsburgh and chair of the United Way Women's Leadership Council.
Education: J.D. magna cum laude from University of Pittsburgh, 1983; B.A. in U.S. history and Japanese art history from Princeton University, 1980.
Quote: “(The Athena Award) was a great reaffirmation of the fact that our true purpose on this earth is to serve others and to grow the next generation, whether that be within our own business, within our own community or within our own family.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Monroeville Mall policy aims to tame teen shoppers
- 3-alarm fire burns Hill District row homes
- Black Pittsburghers still challenged in education, workforce, housing
- Port Authority focusing on natural-gas bus fleet for proposed rapid transit line
- Pittsburgh police chief: Officers, public must unite against violence
- PennDOT to replace drivers licenses issued since November without proper security features
- Easter Seals merger in Pennsylvania raises ethics concerns
- Pittsburgh councilwoman Rudiak announces bid for city controller
- PUC fines 8 transport companies, including 2 in Western Pennsylvania
- Officials investigating fatal Shaler house fire, working to identify body found in rubble
- Pennsylvania road repair fund falls billions of dollars short