Newsmaker: Laura Ellsworth
Noteworthy: Ellsworth, partner-in-charge of the Pittsburgh office of the Jones Day law firm, was named the 2013 Greater Pittsburgh Athena Award winner. The Athena Award honors local women in business.
Residence: Diamond Run
Family: Husband: Bruce; son: Matthew
Background: Ellsworth is vice chair of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, chair of the Pennsylvania Economy League of Greater Pittsburgh and chair of the United Way Women's Leadership Council.
Education: J.D. magna cum laude from University of Pittsburgh, 1983; B.A. in U.S. history and Japanese art history from Princeton University, 1980.
Quote: “(The Athena Award) was a great reaffirmation of the fact that our true purpose on this earth is to serve others and to grow the next generation, whether that be within our own business, within our own community or within our own family.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- Pa. spends millions on death penalty cases that rarely end in execution
- African-American Heritage Day Parade in Pittsburgh draws more than 40 groups
- Pittsburgh police officer hits pedestrian in East Liberty
- 17-year-old male killed, 15-year-old female shot in McKeesport
- Munhall standoff leads to prostitution arrests in Pittsburgh’s South Side
- Newsmaker: Bob Herbert
- Police: Man steals cash from tip jar at South Side restaurant
- Counter attackers by tossing items, experts advise college students
- 10-county regional transportation alliance to form in Western Pa.