Newsmaker: Laura Ellsworth
Noteworthy: Ellsworth, partner-in-charge of the Pittsburgh office of the Jones Day law firm, was named the 2013 Greater Pittsburgh Athena Award winner. The Athena Award honors local women in business.
Residence: Diamond Run
Family: Husband: Bruce; son: Matthew
Background: Ellsworth is vice chair of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, chair of the Pennsylvania Economy League of Greater Pittsburgh and chair of the United Way Women's Leadership Council.
Education: J.D. magna cum laude from University of Pittsburgh, 1983; B.A. in U.S. history and Japanese art history from Princeton University, 1980.
Quote: “(The Athena Award) was a great reaffirmation of the fact that our true purpose on this earth is to serve others and to grow the next generation, whether that be within our own business, within our own community or within our own family.”
Add Megan Harris to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Heavy rain prompts flood advisory for Allegheny, Westmoreland counties
- Bridge inspections, washing to impact Pittsburgh traffic
- Work set for Parkway West
- Carnegie Mellon grad’s tweak to tweets turns 7
- Attorney General drops charges against ‘upper-level’ heroin dealers, records show
- Obama faces bipartisan criticism over his foreign policy
- White House threat sparks call for wider immigration debate