Newsmaker: Laura Ellsworth
Noteworthy: Ellsworth, partner-in-charge of the Pittsburgh office of the Jones Day law firm, was named the 2013 Greater Pittsburgh Athena Award winner. The Athena Award honors local women in business.
Residence: Diamond Run
Family: Husband: Bruce; son: Matthew
Background: Ellsworth is vice chair of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, chair of the Pennsylvania Economy League of Greater Pittsburgh and chair of the United Way Women's Leadership Council.
Education: J.D. magna cum laude from University of Pittsburgh, 1983; B.A. in U.S. history and Japanese art history from Princeton University, 1980.
Quote: “(The Athena Award) was a great reaffirmation of the fact that our true purpose on this earth is to serve others and to grow the next generation, whether that be within our own business, within our own community or within our own family.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt researchers using grant to find cures for viruses from mosquitoes
- Higher school taxes prevail in Western Pennsylvania, Trib finds
- Pittsburgh a big draw for tourists on July 4th weekend
- Attorney general accuses Golden Living homes of failing to provide basic services to elderly
- Pittsburgh arts entities aim to maximize impact with merger
- Man shot early Thursday in Perry South neighborhood
- County Council exempts jail health care workers from residency requirement
- Newsmaker: Kevin Fortwendel
- Pittsburgh settles former police trainee’s disability discrimination lawsuit
- Plum officials reassess equipment policy after sexual assault case
- CIA station chief made mark in Indonesia