Newsmaker: Brett Murphy
By Tory N. Parrish
Published: Sunday, Oct. 20, 2013, 10:10 p.m.
Noteworthy: On Thursday, the annual Al McDowell Memorial Scholarship will be presented to Murphy, who is a University of Pittsburgh senior. The scholarship is named in memory of the Pittsburgh broadcasting pioneer and 1952 School of Arts and Sciences graduate.
Family: parents Helene and Kevin Murphy, and siblings Nolan, 25, and Jacqueline, 28
Occupation: Freelance writer for Pitt Magazine, Pop City Media and Shady Ave magazine, and staff writer for Pitt News
Education: Bachelor of Arts in English, with a specialization in nonfiction writing, expected in December; minors in political science and studio arts
Background: Murphy is from Hopkinton, Mass. After he graduates from Pitt, he plans to work at a magazine in New York or attend graduate school to major in journalism. A fan of the Boston Red Sox and Pittsburgh Pirates, he also enjoys reading, drawing and painting, he said.
Quote: “Within the field, you get to hear other people's stories and retell them in an interesting light. For me, that's always been the big draw to writing.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former PPG executive indicted in fatal N.H. crash
- Wilkinsburg woman, 24, dies in crash
- 4-car crash near Fox Chapel snarls Route 28 traffic
- Wuerl tells faithful all Catholics are responsible for schools
- Trial begins in Steelers stabbing
- Democrats consider Pittsburgh for 2016 national convention
- Proposal to drill in West Deer and Frazer draws comments from both sides
- Landmark former school in Pittsburgh’s Hill District to incubate startups
- Post 9/11 veterans lend skills to community leadership course
- Pope Francis inspires incredible optimism
- Bullied South Fayette student’s case prompts wiretap overhaul legislation