Old Cut Flower Co. site closer to redevelopment
A $500,000 state development grant will move Richland closer to erasing decades of blight at the 180-acre former home of Pittsburgh Cut Flower Co., said township and state officials who will join the Allegheny Land Trust on Thursday to accept the award.
“Twenty years' worth of developers looking at that land, and they all walked away,” said Richland manager Dean Bastianini. “It's remarkable to see the improvement already. We're finally turning the corner.”
The money is part of $6.6 million in gambling tax revenues that Gov. Tom Corbett has announced will go to 19 projects aimed at improving public safety and infrastructure to support housing, business and job creation.
Officials with the nonprofit Allegheny Land Trust hope to buy the land for $1.4 million from Legacy Landings LLC no later than December, said executive director Chris Beichner. Previous closing dates were delayed, he said, to give Legacy time to clear the site of asbestos-laden garages and greenhouses, some as much as a century old.
Planning began in earnest three years ago. The overall project's cost could range from $2 million to $3 million, Beichner said.
Megan Harris is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5815 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add Megan Harris to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods
- Foundation donates $350K to revitalize facades in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Allegheny County Council members outspend expense accounts
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Newsmaker: Thomas J. Usher
- Water process eyed for 2 parks in Allegheny County
- Rules hamper Franklin Regional attack victim scholarships
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park