Pittsburgh renews tie to sister city in Japan
Pittsburgh reaffirmed its sister city status on Tuesday with Saitama City, Japan.
The two cities have been linked for 15 years by an agreement to promote friendship, foster mutual understanding and cooperation and encourage mutual growth and continued renaissance for both cities.
Saitama City Mayor Hayato Shimizu appeared before City Council with a delegation of dignitaries to sign a new Sister City Agreement. An informal relationship between the two cities began in 1981, featuring an exchange of students, business, sports teams, educators and cultural groups.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- Peduto, Harris compromise on $1.6M for North Side community center
- Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office asked to prosecute case alleging assault of Allegheny County assistant district attorney
- VA promotion for administrator stuns legislator
- Police arrest 8, cite more than 2 dozen after riots in Morgantown
- Newsmaker: Mary Barkhymer
- Prosecutors say cyanide-death defendant Ferrante tested toxin on mice to gauge effect on human
- State law complicates Allegheny County proposal for letter grading of restaurants