Newsmaker: Alyce Johnston
Noteworthy:Pittsburgh City Council issued Johnston a proclamation honoring her 40 years of volunteer service in Pittsburgh hospitals.
Occupation: Retired as administrative assistant to the president of Alcoa Inc.
Background: Was a volunteer at the former Pittsburgh Hospital for 35 years. For the past five years, she has volunteered at Forbes Hospice in Bloomfield. Her work includes comforting families of dying patients and directingvisitors to patient rooms.
Quote: “You work the work and you accept the nicer things that come to you. I was very touched that (Pittsburgh City Council) wanted to honor me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wilkinsburg man will stand trial in death of 5-week-old infant
- Allegheny County to stay open late for property tax discount seekers
- Homewood man on run since December found hiding at girlfriend’s apartment
- Homicide charge withdrawn against Wilkinsburg woman accused of arranging lover’s beating
- Sewickley mortgage broker pleads guilty in bank fraud conspiracy
- Lawrence County father, son charged with running illegal video gambling machines
- Outbound lanes of Fort Pitt Tunnel close Friday for the weekend
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney
- North Fayette company changes defendants in Antonio Brown endorsement lawsuit
- School choice tax credit expansion bill touted
- Roberto Clemente Bridge closes for construction of bike lanes