Newsmaker: Alyce Johnston
Noteworthy:Pittsburgh City Council issued Johnston a proclamation honoring her 40 years of volunteer service in Pittsburgh hospitals.
Occupation: Retired as administrative assistant to the president of Alcoa Inc.
Background: Was a volunteer at the former Pittsburgh Hospital for 35 years. For the past five years, she has volunteered at Forbes Hospice in Bloomfield. Her work includes comforting families of dying patients and directingvisitors to patient rooms.
Quote: “You work the work and you accept the nicer things that come to you. I was very touched that (Pittsburgh City Council) wanted to honor me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Public implored to avoid iPhone cases that resemble guns
- Fireworks displays costly, but W. Pa. communities feel obligated
- Tradition rules in Pittsburgh: Keep bridge color the same, poll finds
- Plenty going on in Pittsburgh over holiday weekend
- Higher school taxes prevail in Western Pennsylvania, Trib finds
- South Side Slopes police chase ends with car into a front porch
- Wabash Tunnel to open to inbound, high-occupancy vehicles Saturday night
- July 4 road and river closures
- Newsmaker: Tessa Jimenez
- Run-down duplex that Dormont helped to rehab not on the market long
- Police seek suspect who robbed Downtown McDonald’s on Tuesday