Newsmaker: Alyce Johnston
Noteworthy:Pittsburgh City Council issued Johnston a proclamation honoring her 40 years of volunteer service in Pittsburgh hospitals.
Occupation: Retired as administrative assistant to the president of Alcoa Inc.
Background: Was a volunteer at the former Pittsburgh Hospital for 35 years. For the past five years, she has volunteered at Forbes Hospice in Bloomfield. Her work includes comforting families of dying patients and directingvisitors to patient rooms.
Quote: “You work the work and you accept the nicer things that come to you. I was very touched that (Pittsburgh City Council) wanted to honor me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Medical research labs pinched by falling federal funding
- Teachers’ roles evolve as districts rely more on computers
- Amid tears, but with resolve, Oakmont church members vow to rebuild from fire
- Pitt professor’s UV technology destined for Mars in 2020
- Legally blind Pirates fan hangs on every play, has kept score for decades
- Squirrel Hill pantry volunteer’s donation eases struggles for families
- Newsmaker: Prince Matthews
- Health department sets 1st of 13 public meetings
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Water service restored to CMU campus
- Duquesne Light hires new operations vice president