Newsmaker: Alyce Johnston
Noteworthy:Pittsburgh City Council issued Johnston a proclamation honoring her 40 years of volunteer service in Pittsburgh hospitals.
Occupation: Retired as administrative assistant to the president of Alcoa Inc.
Background: Was a volunteer at the former Pittsburgh Hospital for 35 years. For the past five years, she has volunteered at Forbes Hospice in Bloomfield. Her work includes comforting families of dying patients and directingvisitors to patient rooms.
Quote: “You work the work and you accept the nicer things that come to you. I was very touched that (Pittsburgh City Council) wanted to honor me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Water process eyed for 2 parks in Allegheny County
- Rules hamper Franklin Regional attack victim scholarships
- Prosecutor in Ferrante cyanide trial attacked; partner charged with assault
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Judge expected to sign sale order for August Wilson Center for African American Culture
- Pittsburgh photo exhibit shines light on ‘Good’ work
- Newsmaker: Susana J. Munro
- Pittsburgh VA director gets more time to appeal firing recommendation
- Etna struggles with high commercial vacancy rates