Newsmaker: Alyce Johnston
Noteworthy:Pittsburgh City Council issued Johnston a proclamation honoring her 40 years of volunteer service in Pittsburgh hospitals.
Occupation: Retired as administrative assistant to the president of Alcoa Inc.
Background: Was a volunteer at the former Pittsburgh Hospital for 35 years. For the past five years, she has volunteered at Forbes Hospice in Bloomfield. Her work includes comforting families of dying patients and directingvisitors to patient rooms.
Quote: “You work the work and you accept the nicer things that come to you. I was very touched that (Pittsburgh City Council) wanted to honor me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Highmark asks patients to ‘Meet Dr. Right’
- 2 from Carrick charged in connection with rash of heroin overdoses
- Development could soon be booming in West End
- Police confiscated cellphone of driver who struck 7-year-old girl Thursday
- Testimony begins in theft trial of former Allegheny County councilman
- Heinz Endowments looks to smart urban planning for Pittsburgh moment
- Voters wishing to cast ballot in May 19 primary must register by Monday
- Urban designers share ideas for revitalization of Hazelwood, Downtown
- Justice halts religious groups’ birth control opt-out role
- Munhall woman sues endoscope maker over hospital superbug infection
- Internal turmoil preceded nutrition supplement’s lawsuit against Steelers’ Brown