Trib photographers honored in international competition
Two Tribune-Review photographers won awards in the international Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar competition.
Stephanie Strasburg won first place in the pictorial category for a November 2012 photo showing people watching fireworks from inside their rooms at the Wyndham Hotel, Downtown. In this category, judges consider the aesthetic qualities of photos, with emphasis on composition.
Justin Merriman's photo story “Egypt: An Ongoing Revolution” took third place in the Chris Hondros Memorial International News category. The category is in memory of a Getty Images staff photographer who died in April 2011 while covering conflict in Libya.
Other winners in the competition included photographers from the Associated Press, Reuters, Getty Images, Agence France-Presse and The Washington Post. The Trib was the only newspaper to win more than one award.
The annual seminar, begun in 1973, includes an educational conference as well as the photography contest, which is open to any photographer from any country.
Strasburg, a graduate of Goddard College in Vermont, joined the Trib full time in 2012 after completing a summer internship. Merriman, a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, has been with Trib Total Media papers since 1999 and has been on assignment in Haiti, Cuba, Iraq, Afghanistan and Egypt.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inspections will force Liberty Bridge lane closures on Friday
- In Pittsburgh charges, feds target Uganda-based counterfeiting ring
- Pittsburgh Public Schools adopts no-tax-increase budget for 2015
- Pennsylvania constables need oversight to reduce problems, officials say
- Portion of Baum Boulevard closed after bricks fall from building
- PennDOT to begin changing Glenbury Street Friday, part of Route 51/ 88 intersection rehab
- Pittsburgh student jailed after striking school police officer
- Newsmaker: Enrique Mu
- DA: Fired Century III Mall manager stole $51K
- Bloodhounds tracked suspects who robbed Citizens Bank on East Carson Street
- Peduto redefines post in just his 1st year as Pittsburgh’s mayor