Trib photographers honored in international competition
Two Tribune-Review photographers won awards in the international Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar competition.
Stephanie Strasburg won first place in the pictorial category for a November 2012 photo showing people watching fireworks from inside their rooms at the Wyndham Hotel, Downtown. In this category, judges consider the aesthetic qualities of photos, with emphasis on composition.
Justin Merriman's photo story “Egypt: An Ongoing Revolution” took third place in the Chris Hondros Memorial International News category. The category is in memory of a Getty Images staff photographer who died in April 2011 while covering conflict in Libya.
Other winners in the competition included photographers from the Associated Press, Reuters, Getty Images, Agence France-Presse and The Washington Post. The Trib was the only newspaper to win more than one award.
The annual seminar, begun in 1973, includes an educational conference as well as the photography contest, which is open to any photographer from any country.
Strasburg, a graduate of Goddard College in Vermont, joined the Trib full time in 2012 after completing a summer internship. Merriman, a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, has been with Trib Total Media papers since 1999 and has been on assignment in Haiti, Cuba, Iraq, Afghanistan and Egypt.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pa. Monuments license plates revenue to help maintain Gettysburg monuments
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millennials
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since discrimination lawsuit
- Arizona Uzi shooting that accidentally killed instructor ‘just stupid’
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Pitt, city officials inspecting student housing in Oakland
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Biden in Pittsburgh Thursday for fundraiser