Trib photographers honored in international competition
Two Tribune-Review photographers won awards in the international Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar competition.
Stephanie Strasburg won first place in the pictorial category for a November 2012 photo showing people watching fireworks from inside their rooms at the Wyndham Hotel, Downtown. In this category, judges consider the aesthetic qualities of photos, with emphasis on composition.
Justin Merriman's photo story “Egypt: An Ongoing Revolution” took third place in the Chris Hondros Memorial International News category. The category is in memory of a Getty Images staff photographer who died in April 2011 while covering conflict in Libya.
Other winners in the competition included photographers from the Associated Press, Reuters, Getty Images, Agence France-Presse and The Washington Post. The Trib was the only newspaper to win more than one award.
The annual seminar, begun in 1973, includes an educational conference as well as the photography contest, which is open to any photographer from any country.
Strasburg, a graduate of Goddard College in Vermont, joined the Trib full time in 2012 after completing a summer internship. Merriman, a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, has been with Trib Total Media papers since 1999 and has been on assignment in Haiti, Cuba, Iraq, Afghanistan and Egypt.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Feds admit cooperation remains an obstacle with corporations and cyber threats
- Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Bucar upset with DA Zappala for alert
- Private parking lots slow to follow Pittsburgh’s increase in rates
- Pittsburgh seeks $20M a year from nonprofits in talks after dropping lawsuit, paying $148K in legal fees
- 30 cited for blocking street at union rally at UPMC facility
- Duquesne teen to stand trial on charges he shot, killed unborn child
- 2 sentenced for avoiding arrest after Steelers player was stabbed
- Detour on Bower Hill Road to end Friday
- Oakland eatery Fuel & Fuddle to reopen under new owners
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’