Newsmaker: Tameka Cage Conley
Noteworthy: Cage Conley, a writer, playwright and poet, has been awarded the $13,000 grant from the Eben Demarest Trust at the Pittsburgh Foundation. The prize is awarded to an artist or archeologist to support creative and intellectual independence.
Family: Husband, David
Residence: East Liberty
Education: Bachelor of arts in English from Dillard University in New Orleans and Ph.D. from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.
Background: Cage Conley was a nominee for the Pushcart Prize for poetry in 2012, and her poems have been widely published. Her stage play “Testimony” was produced at the August Wilson Center in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. She plans on using proceeds from the new award to complete a novel, “This Far, By Grace,” a family saga about African American fathers and sons over six decades.
Quote: “I feel compelled to write about my hometown, Shreveport, La. I feel able and confident to tell important stories about the legacy of African Americans in Shreveport that might otherwise remain untold.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Heavy rain prompts flood advisory for Allegheny, Westmoreland counties
- Gir’s hearing at risk in tiff with insurer Cigna
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Outbound 376 reopened after man on exit sign caused closure
- Newsmaker: Bryant Andrews-Nino
- Carnegie Mellon grad’s tweak to tweets turns 7
- Timing of summer’s end a matter of perspective for Western Pennsylvanians
- Fire damages church’s roof in Pittsburgh’s Allentown section
- Work set for Parkway West