Newsmaker: Tameka Cage Conley
Noteworthy: Cage Conley, a writer, playwright and poet, has been awarded the $13,000 grant from the Eben Demarest Trust at the Pittsburgh Foundation. The prize is awarded to an artist or archeologist to support creative and intellectual independence.
Family: Husband, David
Residence: East Liberty
Education: Bachelor of arts in English from Dillard University in New Orleans and Ph.D. from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.
Background: Cage Conley was a nominee for the Pushcart Prize for poetry in 2012, and her poems have been widely published. Her stage play “Testimony” was produced at the August Wilson Center in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. She plans on using proceeds from the new award to complete a novel, “This Far, By Grace,” a family saga about African American fathers and sons over six decades.
Quote: “I feel compelled to write about my hometown, Shreveport, La. I feel able and confident to tell important stories about the legacy of African Americans in Shreveport that might otherwise remain untold.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Corbett, Wolf resort to sticks, stones to attract attention
- Public servants honored in Pittsburgh for extraordinary responses
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- 15206Project finds goals for rain
- Curry Hollow Shopping Center has buyer
- Review: Tortelier’s golden touch full of personality, grandeur
- State’s ‘public-private’ transportation deal will replace 53 bridges in Allegheny County
- Howard Hanna family donates $1M for business student scholarships at University of Pittsburgh
- Wilkinsburg couple arrested after baby girl dies following beating
- Film Office announces two Downtown road closures Monday