Newsmaker: Tameka Cage Conley
Noteworthy: Cage Conley, a writer, playwright and poet, has been awarded the $13,000 grant from the Eben Demarest Trust at the Pittsburgh Foundation. The prize is awarded to an artist or archeologist to support creative and intellectual independence.
Family: Husband, David
Residence: East Liberty
Education: Bachelor of arts in English from Dillard University in New Orleans and Ph.D. from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.
Background: Cage Conley was a nominee for the Pushcart Prize for poetry in 2012, and her poems have been widely published. Her stage play “Testimony” was produced at the August Wilson Center in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. She plans on using proceeds from the new award to complete a novel, “This Far, By Grace,” a family saga about African American fathers and sons over six decades.
Quote: “I feel compelled to write about my hometown, Shreveport, La. I feel able and confident to tell important stories about the legacy of African Americans in Shreveport that might otherwise remain untold.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man charged with killing Larimer man last year
- Roberto Clemente Bridge closes for construction of bike lanes
- North Fayette company changes defendants in Antonio Brown endorsement lawsuit
- Sinkhole caused by mine subsidence closes Laketon Road in Penn Hills
- Man charged in child rape case from 2014 arrested again
- School choice tax credit expansion bill touted
- Newsmaker: Dr. Nancy E. Davidson
- Ex-Gov. Ridge: Hacking group’s kill list only a scare tactic
- Deliberations begin in party bus shooting in Sheraden
- Despite demand, women comprise only 11 percent of cyber security workers
- On the horizon: PNC’s $400M tower nears completion