Newsmaker: Dr. Thomas Michael
Noteworthy: The American Board of Wound Management awarded Michael a 10-year designation as a certified wound specialist physician.
Residence: Center, Beaver County
Family: Wife, Martha; children, Thomas, Joseph and Marta.
Occupation: Director of the wound care center at Heritage Valley Health System's Beaver Hospital.
Education: Medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania, 1985.
Background: Michael, who grew up in Center, came to Beaver Hospital in 1990 after completing a residency at UPMC Shadyside and working in a family practice in Pittsburgh. He worked as an emergency department physician for 20 years at Beaver Hospital and transitioned into specializing in caring for chronic wounds in the late 1990s. He became director of the wound care center in 2011.
Quote: “(The designation) verifies my credentials, and verifies my knowledge in the care of chronic wounds, and gives me credibility with patients.”
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt researchers using grant to find cures for viruses from mosquitoes
- Higher school taxes prevail in Western Pennsylvania, Trib finds
- Pittsburgh a big draw for tourists on July 4th weekend
- Attorney general accuses Golden Living homes of failing to provide basic services to elderly
- Pittsburgh arts entities aim to maximize impact with merger
- County Council exempts jail health care workers from residency requirement
- Newsmaker: Kevin Fortwendel
- Man shot early Thursday in Perry South neighborhood
- Plum officials reassess equipment policy after sexual assault case
- Pittsburgh settles former police trainee’s disability discrimination lawsuit
- CIA station chief made mark in Indonesia