Newsmaker: Dr. Thomas Michael
Noteworthy: The American Board of Wound Management awarded Michael a 10-year designation as a certified wound specialist physician.
Residence: Center, Beaver County
Family: Wife, Martha; children, Thomas, Joseph and Marta.
Occupation: Director of the wound care center at Heritage Valley Health System's Beaver Hospital.
Education: Medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania, 1985.
Background: Michael, who grew up in Center, came to Beaver Hospital in 1990 after completing a residency at UPMC Shadyside and working in a family practice in Pittsburgh. He worked as an emergency department physician for 20 years at Beaver Hospital and transitioned into specializing in caring for chronic wounds in the late 1990s. He became director of the wound care center in 2011.
Quote: “(The designation) verifies my credentials, and verifies my knowledge in the care of chronic wounds, and gives me credibility with patients.”
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Protest planned Monday at Plum Borough High School
- Forbes Avenue jeweler’s embedded sidewalk sign safely slides out to make way for Pittsburgh Playhouse project
- Senior at Pittsburgh’s CAPA school focuses spotlight on homeless students
- Allegheny County Council will have new look
- Poor infrastructure may hinder aid efforts in Nepal after earthquake
- District 7 candidates for Pittsburgh council vow to protect poorer communities
- Newsmakers: Danielle and Patrik McKain
- It’s business, but not as usual in Pittsburgh
- Body found on North Side
- Burgess’ rivals for Pittsburgh council nomination owe money to government
- Former Robinson dentist gets prison term for sexual assault