Newsmaker: J. David Creswell
Family: Wife, Kasey Creswell
Residence: Point Breeze
Occupation: Associate professor of psychology at Carnegie Mellon University and a member of the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition in the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Noteworthy: Creswell recently won the 2014 Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution to Psychology in the area of health psychology from the American Psychological Association. He will receive the award in August at the association's convention in Washington.
Education: Earned his bachelor's in psychology from The Colorado College in 2000; his master's in social psychology from the University of California, Los Angeles in 2003; and his Ph.D. in social psychology from UCLA in 2007.
Background: Creswell focuses on how the mind and brain influence physical health and performance; stress, coping and intervention strategies; how meditation reduces stress and improves overall health; and how self-affirmation reduces stress. Among his discoveries is the first evidence that self-affirmation promotes recovery from breast cancer and improves problem-solving under stress.
Quote: “I'm honored to receive this award and so grateful for the rich scientific health psychology environment here in Pittsburgh.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh to consider measure to give city employees 6 weeks of paid parental leave
- 3-D images to help police in Western Pa. navigate terror, hostage scenes
- Pittsburgh City Council unanimous in opposition to bill that would change how Pa. defines tax-exempt status
- Newsmaker: Rick McIntyre
- Mt. Lebanon awaits Pennsylvania Game Commission approval to corral, kill deer
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- NTSB: Better oversight needed to prevent natural gas pipeline accidents
- Owner of Italian Village Pizza stores in Western Pennsylvania gets house arrest for tax evasion
- Aging weather satellite may be leaving forecasters with a large blind spot
- Allegheny County assistant public defender Capone charged with lying to court staff
- Police say burglars caught in the act in Beechview