Newsmaker: Tracy Shaffer
Noteworthy: The Ambridge Chamber of Commerce named Shaffer a 2014 Outstanding Educator for her work as a middle-school math teacher in the Quaker Valley School District. Shaffer will be recognized at the chamber's annual Celebration of Efforts on Feb. 27.
Family: Husband, Christian
Background: Shaffer taught in Queen Anne's County, Md., for five years before moving to Ambridge and working in the Quaker Valley School District. She has taught at Quaker Valley for 16 years, initially teaching social studies before moving to math. She organized the construction of a community garden by her students, and volunteers with her church and the Center for Hope in Ambridge.
Education: Shaffer graduated from Millersville University with a bachelor's degree in elementary education. She received a master's degree in geography and regional planning from California University of Pennsylvania.
Quote: “My students make each day an enjoyable experience, impacting me and my approach to teaching as much as I hope to influence them in a positive way.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County adoption event joins 40 children with families
- Man’s death by runaway wheel on Route 28 ruled accident
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects
- Emergency personnel contain fire at Whitehall apartment complex
- Nude photos of Penn Hills High School students spur investigation
- Newsmaker: Christopher W. Robinson
- Youngsters embrace technology that combines art, software in 3D printing
- Baltimore man killed in McKeesport crash
- WVU frat brothers charged with hazing pledges
- Cybersecurity experts warn Pittsburgh conference about dangers of hacking
- Challenge Program at Pittsburgh Milliones gives students incentive to succeed