Newsmaker: Tracy Shaffer
Noteworthy: The Ambridge Chamber of Commerce named Shaffer a 2014 Outstanding Educator for her work as a middle-school math teacher in the Quaker Valley School District. Shaffer will be recognized at the chamber's annual Celebration of Efforts on Feb. 27.
Family: Husband, Christian
Background: Shaffer taught in Queen Anne's County, Md., for five years before moving to Ambridge and working in the Quaker Valley School District. She has taught at Quaker Valley for 16 years, initially teaching social studies before moving to math. She organized the construction of a community garden by her students, and volunteers with her church and the Center for Hope in Ambridge.
Education: Shaffer graduated from Millersville University with a bachelor's degree in elementary education. She received a master's degree in geography and regional planning from California University of Pennsylvania.
Quote: “My students make each day an enjoyable experience, impacting me and my approach to teaching as much as I hope to influence them in a positive way.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Heavy rain prompts flood advisory for Allegheny, Westmoreland counties
- Carnegie Mellon grad’s tweak to tweets turns 7
- Work set for Parkway West
- Timing of summer’s end a matter of perspective for Western Pennsylvanians
- Bridge inspections, washing to impact Pittsburgh traffic
- Obama faces bipartisan criticism over his foreign policy
- Corbett uninvited to labor parade over LCB issue