Obama to visit U.S. Steel plant in West Mifflin during Wednesday trip
President Obama will visit U.S. Steel's Irvin Plant in West Mifflin on Wednesday to talk about the economy, following his State of the Union address Tuesday.
White House officials said further details about his visit, which they announced over the weekend, will be released this week. Obama will also be visiting Prince George's County in Maryland on Wednesday, and the Milwaukee and Nashville areas on Thursday.
In the past, such as during the 2009 Group of 20 economic summit, Obama's visits focused on Pittsburgh's evolution beyond being defined by the steel industry. The Irvin Plant, according to U.S. Steel, produces sheet metal products from the steel slabs produced at the Edgar Thomson Plant in Braddock.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Overnight closures, lane restrictions announced for Fort Pitt Tunnel, Parkway West
- Man convicted in North Side stabbing
- 3 Brentwood council members submit resignation letters
- Bakery Square town houses plans to go to Pittsburgh city planners
- Fix for issues vowed at Pittsburgh VA
- Leadership rises as issue for Pa. voters in new poll
- Wilkinsburg School District hires embattled Penn Hills business affairs director
- Citation of police observer called ‘abuse of power’ by Pittsburgh police
- Pittsburgh region enjoys healthy dose of ‘brain gain’
- Lottery ticket worth $450,000 sold at Oakmont Sunoco
- Munhall man with prior felonies sentenced to 25 years for firearm possession