Newsmaker: M. Granger Morgan
M. Granger Morgan
Noteworthy: A Carnegie Mellon University professor, Morgan has been selected to present a paper on Feb. 16 at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago. The association is the world's largest general scientific society. His paper deals with how the challenges of climate change will require a fundamental restructuring of the world's fragile energy systems.
Family: Wife, Betty; adult children, Fritz and Kristi
Occupation: Morgan is head of CMU's Department of Engineering and Public Policy, co-director of the Wilton E. Scott Institute for Energy Innovation and co-director of the Electric Industry Center.
Background: Morgan's research covers problems in science, technology and public policy with a focus on energy, environmental systems, climate change and risk analysis. He has a bachelor's degree from Harvard University with a concentration in physics, a master's degree in astronomy and space science from Cornell University and a doctorate from the Department of Applied Physics and Information Sciences at the University of California at San Diego.
Quote: “In this talk, I'll summarize a wide range of the work we've been doing on how to use energy more efficiently, on developing new sources of energy, and on improving the security and reliability of our energy system.”
— Brian Bowling
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Downtown Pittsburgh Macy’s donates bits of history
- Founder of Operation Safety Net in Pittsburgh named one of CNN’s 2015 Top 10 Heroes
- North Hills transit service limits lamented
- Former Pittsburgh mayoral candidate sentenced to prison for bogus 911 calls
- Allegheny County Sheriff’s deputies apprehend one of county’s ‘most wanted fugitives’
- Newsmaker: Rudolph ‘Rudy’ Zupancic
- Bishop Zubik visits Mooncrest Community Center
- Pittsburgh’s North Shore traffic gets critical look
- Siblings sue over gas rights in Jefferson Hills land parcel
- 30 federal prisoners in W.Pa. on list for early release; 27 in Pittsburgh
- Upper St. Clair lifeguard ordered to stand trial for rape of female lifeguard