Newsmaker: M. Granger Morgan
M. Granger Morgan
Noteworthy: A Carnegie Mellon University professor, Morgan has been selected to present a paper on Feb. 16 at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago. The association is the world's largest general scientific society. His paper deals with how the challenges of climate change will require a fundamental restructuring of the world's fragile energy systems.
Family: Wife, Betty; adult children, Fritz and Kristi
Occupation: Morgan is head of CMU's Department of Engineering and Public Policy, co-director of the Wilton E. Scott Institute for Energy Innovation and co-director of the Electric Industry Center.
Background: Morgan's research covers problems in science, technology and public policy with a focus on energy, environmental systems, climate change and risk analysis. He has a bachelor's degree from Harvard University with a concentration in physics, a master's degree in astronomy and space science from Cornell University and a doctorate from the Department of Applied Physics and Information Sciences at the University of California at San Diego.
Quote: “In this talk, I'll summarize a wide range of the work we've been doing on how to use energy more efficiently, on developing new sources of energy, and on improving the security and reliability of our energy system.”
— Brian Bowling
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Homestead struggles to pick up pieces left by devastating fire
- Commander: City police working to improve accountability
- Report disparages ex-Montour school superintendent
- Warrants issued in fatal McKeesport shooting
- Jan. 31 fundraiser to aid Homestead’s recovery from fire
- Greenfield Bridge implosion to close Parkway between Christmas, New Year’s
- Firefighters rescue woman, dog from burning home in Sheraden
- Man arrested in massive Homestead fire