Newsmaker: Thomas R. Mueller
Noteworthy: A professor in California University of Pennsylvania's Department of Earth Sciences, he has been named to the executive board for the Society of North American Historians and Researchers, or SONAHR. The New York-based organization examines sports history and its membership includes sports historians, filmmakers, researchers and journalists in seven countries on four continents.
Residence: Charleroi, Washington County
Family: Wife, Stacy; children: Monica, 4, and Tyler, 2
Background: Mueller's research includes applying spatial theory to the real world, particularly using Geographic Information Systems for computer mapping. He is currently helping the state Department of Environmental Protection's initiative known as the Pennsylvania Mine Mapping Atlas. During his 15 years at Cal U, Mueller's scholarly interests also have included geography education and sports geography.
Education: Bachelor degree in Geography, Towson University; master's degree in Geography, University of Connecticut; doctorate in Geography, University of Illinois.
Quote: “I've started working on some maps for (SONAHR), and as soon as I get a sense of those maps that will be initiated, then I absolutely hope to have our students help to make them.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Corbett, Wolf resort to sticks, stones to attract attention
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Curry Hollow Shopping Center has buyer
- Public servants honored in Pittsburgh for extraordinary responses
- 15206Project finds goals for rain
- Wilkinsburg couple arrested after baby girl dies following beating
- State’s ‘public-private’ transportation deal will replace 53 bridges in Allegheny County
- Review: Tortelier’s golden touch full of personality, grandeur
- Port Authority steps closer to linking Oakland and Downtown, makes switch from Highmark to Aetna
- Howard Hanna family donates $1M for business student scholarships at University of Pittsburgh