Newsmaker: Thomas R. Mueller
Noteworthy: A professor in California University of Pennsylvania's Department of Earth Sciences, he has been named to the executive board for the Society of North American Historians and Researchers, or SONAHR. The New York-based organization examines sports history and its membership includes sports historians, filmmakers, researchers and journalists in seven countries on four continents.
Residence: Charleroi, Washington County
Family: Wife, Stacy; children: Monica, 4, and Tyler, 2
Background: Mueller's research includes applying spatial theory to the real world, particularly using Geographic Information Systems for computer mapping. He is currently helping the state Department of Environmental Protection's initiative known as the Pennsylvania Mine Mapping Atlas. During his 15 years at Cal U, Mueller's scholarly interests also have included geography education and sports geography.
Education: Bachelor degree in Geography, Towson University; master's degree in Geography, University of Connecticut; doctorate in Geography, University of Illinois.
Quote: “I've started working on some maps for (SONAHR), and as soon as I get a sense of those maps that will be initiated, then I absolutely hope to have our students help to make them.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Former McCandless ice cream shop owner convicted of sex charges
- Newsmaker: Rebecca Lane