Sewickley Academy students learn from master dancer
For dance students at Sewickley Academy, it was a chance to learn from a master.
Aguinaldo De Oliveira Lopes, a member of the Compagnie Kafig professional dance company, led students in a class that combined modern dance styles such as hip hop with classical Latin styles such as the samba.
Rio de Janiero-born Anjo, as he is known professionally, worked with 15 of Sewickley Academy dance teacher Joe Jackson's students. Wearing his Converse sneakers, the Brazilian dancer patiently taught the youths a few acrobatic moves — and soon the class leapt about the polished floors of the school's dance studio.
Jackson was thrilled at the chance for his students to learn from Anjo.
“Anytime my kids can study with a professional dancer — to watch, learn, and then perform the new moves — is an awesome opportunity,” said Jackson.
Keith Hodan is a Trib Total Media photographer. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Newsmaker: Rebecca Lane
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike