Sewickley Academy students learn from master dancer
For dance students at Sewickley Academy, it was a chance to learn from a master.
Aguinaldo De Oliveira Lopes, a member of the Compagnie Kafig professional dance company, led students in a class that combined modern dance styles such as hip hop with classical Latin styles such as the samba.
Rio de Janiero-born Anjo, as he is known professionally, worked with 15 of Sewickley Academy dance teacher Joe Jackson's students. Wearing his Converse sneakers, the Brazilian dancer patiently taught the youths a few acrobatic moves — and soon the class leapt about the polished floors of the school's dance studio.
Jackson was thrilled at the chance for his students to learn from Anjo.
“Anytime my kids can study with a professional dancer — to watch, learn, and then perform the new moves — is an awesome opportunity,” said Jackson.
Keith Hodan is a Trib Total Media photographer. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pgh. International leader strives to inject Pittsburgh flavor into airport
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- Owner of Penn Hills tombstone business pleads guilty to swindling the bereaved out of $90K
- Ramp projects across Western Pennsylvania to start this week
- Groups seek $2.5M for North Side’s historic West Park fountain
- Falling bricks close 2 Squirrel Hill businesses
- No injuries reported in Holy Family Manor fire in Ross
- Newsmaker: Janice Cherry
- Brookline 12-year-old crashes mother’s car
- Carnegie Mellon University’s Speck device monitors indoor pollution
- ‘Swing Night’ has feel of Prohibition-era dance hall