Sewickley Academy students learn from master dancer
For dance students at Sewickley Academy, it was a chance to learn from a master.
Aguinaldo De Oliveira Lopes, a member of the Compagnie Kafig professional dance company, led students in a class that combined modern dance styles such as hip hop with classical Latin styles such as the samba.
Rio de Janiero-born Anjo, as he is known professionally, worked with 15 of Sewickley Academy dance teacher Joe Jackson's students. Wearing his Converse sneakers, the Brazilian dancer patiently taught the youths a few acrobatic moves — and soon the class leapt about the polished floors of the school's dance studio.
Jackson was thrilled at the chance for his students to learn from Anjo.
“Anytime my kids can study with a professional dancer — to watch, learn, and then perform the new moves — is an awesome opportunity,” said Jackson.
Keith Hodan is a Trib Total Media photographer. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Search for Duquesne University graduate Kochu continues
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Pittsburgh’s Hill District revitalization project hits financial hurdle in TIF
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Alliance aims to transform vacant parcel in St. Clair to include townhouses, urban farming
- Carnegie skatepark set to close for the season
- Garfield residents plan rally over Bottom Dollar site
- Man shot in Allentown home
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Butler legislator gives weekly GOP address