Woman dies in crash on Liberty Avenue in Strip District
A Beaver Falls woman died when she crashed her car into a utility pole along Liberty Avenue in the Strip District on Sunday morning, authorities said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the driver as Melissa Tates, 34. She crashed into a pole at 17th Street about 7:10 a.m. Paramedics took her to UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Police temporarily closed Liberty from 16th to 21st streets while extricating Tates from the vehicle and attempting to save her.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Beaver County man arrested in 24-year-old Clinton County cold case
- Wintry mix of rain, freezing rain and snow bearing down on Pittsburgh area
- Police stop car in Beltzhoover, find body in back seat
- Pa. police departments worry order on criminal seizures hurts bottom line
- Medical examiner identifies man in Pleasant Hills police standoff as Justin Hay
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home
- Woman, 77, dies in Monroeville house fire
- Pipelines key to growth in shale industry
- Pa. Turnpike claims software fraud, wants $45M
- Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust to host humanities festival
- New Turnpike Chairman Sean Logan institutes Wolf’s gift ban at commission