Woman dies in crash on Liberty Avenue in Strip District
A Beaver Falls woman died when she crashed her car into a utility pole along Liberty Avenue in the Strip District on Sunday morning, authorities said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the driver as Melissa Tates, 34. She crashed into a pole at 17th Street about 7:10 a.m. Paramedics took her to UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Police temporarily closed Liberty from 16th to 21st streets while extricating Tates from the vehicle and attempting to save her.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Attorney wants evidence from South Allegheny teacher’s cellphone thrown out
- Pittsburgh police chief finds use-of-force policies ‘quite satisfactory’
- Maryland man found with missing Ohio girl in Pittsburgh motel
- Police find marijuana grow rooms in Castle Shannon
- Pittsburgh on cusp of leaving fiscal oversight
- Terror threat doesn’t keep Pittsburgh International travelers down
- 2nd command officer at Allegheny County Jail punished
- Buffalo man killed by truck in the West End Circle wanted ‘a fresh start’
- In letter, Plum school superintendent reassures parents on safety
- Swissvale teen on his way to high school shot 5 times, survives
- ‘Structural barriers’ thwart black men in Pittsburgh, report finds