Woman dies in crash on Liberty Avenue in Strip District
A Beaver Falls woman died when she crashed her car into a utility pole along Liberty Avenue in the Strip District on Sunday morning, authorities said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the driver as Melissa Tates, 34. She crashed into a pole at 17th Street about 7:10 a.m. Paramedics took her to UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Police temporarily closed Liberty from 16th to 21st streets while extricating Tates from the vehicle and attempting to save her.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home
- Propel Braddock Hills High School to install metal detectors, superintendent says
- Sean Logan institutes Wolf’s gift ban at Turnpike Commission
- Blawnox couple jailed in woman’s alleged abuse of boyfriend’s child
- Pipelines key to growth in shale industry
- Aging weather satellite may be leaving forecasters with a large blind spot
- Penn Hills water main break creates car-swallowing sinkhole
- Veterans Administration settles another Legionnaire’s lawsuit
- Mt. Lebanon awaits Pennsylvania Game Commission approval to corral, kill deer
- Man killed in SUV rollover on Parkway East
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses