Woman dies in crash on Liberty Avenue in Strip District
A Beaver Falls woman died when she crashed her car into a utility pole along Liberty Avenue in the Strip District on Sunday morning, authorities said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the driver as Melissa Tates, 34. She crashed into a pole at 17th Street about 7:10 a.m. Paramedics took her to UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Police temporarily closed Liberty from 16th to 21st streets while extricating Tates from the vehicle and attempting to save her.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With Pittsburgh charges, feds target Uganda-based counterfeiting ring
- $500K grant to fund bike sharing comes through for Pittsburgh
- Strip District merchants say pay stations will drive out shoopers relying on free spots
- Tax exemptions cost Allegheny County governments $620M, auditor general reports
- Motivation in slaying of Penn Hills couple remains unclear
- Pittsburgh Public Schools adopts no-tax-increase budget for 2015
- Newsmaker: Gregory Reed
- PennDOT to begin changing Glenbury Street Friday, part of Route 51/ 88 intersection rehab
- Peduto redefines post in just his 1st year as Pittsburgh’s mayor
- Inspections will force Liberty Bridge lane closures on Friday
- Humane Society draws attention to longest-tenured critters at sleepover