Newsmaker: Dr. Kyle Soltys
Noteworthy: Soltys received the 2014 Tribute to Excellence Award from the American Liver Foundation during a luncheon last week. He was nominated by his peers for the award.
Family: Girlfriend, Nicole; children, Cory, 17; Sarah, 12, and Talia, 7.
Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, Boston University; medical school, Boston University; medical residency at University Hospital, Newark, N.J.
Occupation: Assistant professor of surgery at the Thomas Starzl Transplant Institute at Children's Hospital of UPMC in Lawrenceville. Soltys performs liver and intestine transplants.
Background: Soltys has spent 10 years at Children's. Before his work there, he worked at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
Quote: “It's an honor for me. Dr. Starzl was the first person to win this award. If you can win an award that Dr. Starzl won first, it makes you feel good about what you've done.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- City’s plan for Strip flummoxes vendors
- Family becomes ‘forever’
- Orders for Pittsburgh police hats soar with new uniform policy
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Judge denies request to lift gag order in Ford case
- Marshall land parcel along Route 910 eyed as park site
- CDC backlog means W.Pa, likely won’t get respiratory virus diagnoses quickly
- $5M grant sought for trade center site near Pittsburgh airport
- Local groups hope NFL lends support
- In U.S., 1 in 4 say secession favorable
- Newsmaker: Ron Rohall