Newsmaker: Dr. Kyle Soltys
Noteworthy: Soltys received the 2014 Tribute to Excellence Award from the American Liver Foundation during a luncheon last week. He was nominated by his peers for the award.
Family: Girlfriend, Nicole; children, Cory, 17; Sarah, 12, and Talia, 7.
Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, Boston University; medical school, Boston University; medical residency at University Hospital, Newark, N.J.
Occupation: Assistant professor of surgery at the Thomas Starzl Transplant Institute at Children's Hospital of UPMC in Lawrenceville. Soltys performs liver and intestine transplants.
Background: Soltys has spent 10 years at Children's. Before his work there, he worked at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
Quote: “It's an honor for me. Dr. Starzl was the first person to win this award. If you can win an award that Dr. Starzl won first, it makes you feel good about what you've done.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ALICE program aims to protect students from active shooter in school
- Duquesne University football player died by suicide
- Teacher conduct under spotlight in Pennsylvania
- McCandless site set for Wal-Mart supercenter store
- Volunteer potters lend time for Empty Bowls Dinner fundraiser
- Passion for speed fuels Ligonier man’s slippery dash in winter rally
- Winter storm causes flight cancellations
- Pittsburgh police searching for man who shot juvenile in Allentown
- McCandless mortgage broker company president charged with bank fraud conspiracy
- Vehicle windows broken in Brighton Heights and Spring Garden
- New Monroeville Mall policy aims to tame teen shoppers