Ex-Sandusky lawyer investigated in divorce case
HARRISBURG — One of the two defense lawyers who represented former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky at trial is being investigated for the potential theft of money from his clients, a prosecutor said on Monday.
Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed released a statement that said he learned last week about allegations against Karl Rominger that concern a divorce case. Freed said Rominger's defense lawyer, Bill Costopoulos, provided additional information and expressed a desire to cooperate.
“My office is leading an investigation into the potential misappropriation of a significant amount of client funds by Rominger,” Freed said.
Rominger said on Friday that he's “cooperating completely” and referred further questions to Costopoulos, who was not immediately available for comment after Freed's statement was released.
Norris Gelman, the lead lawyer in Sandusky's pending appeal of his 45-count child molestation conviction, said Monday that Rominger's representation of Sandusky ended some time ago. Gelman said the allegations regarding Rominger were highly unlikely to affect Sandusky's case.
Freed said he learned about the allegations on Wednesday afternoon and met with Costopoulos on Thursday morning. Rominger said he initiated the investigation.
“The district attorney's office is working quickly and I'm cooperating completely,” Rominger said.
In an audio statement released on his Facebook page, Rominger said he had “wronged” others.
“I will do everything in my power to help those that I've wronged and to make whole any loss that I've created,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Newsmaker: Rebecca Lane
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy