Ex-Sandusky lawyer investigated in divorce case
HARRISBURG — One of the two defense lawyers who represented former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky at trial is being investigated for the potential theft of money from his clients, a prosecutor said on Monday.
Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed released a statement that said he learned last week about allegations against Karl Rominger that concern a divorce case. Freed said Rominger's defense lawyer, Bill Costopoulos, provided additional information and expressed a desire to cooperate.
“My office is leading an investigation into the potential misappropriation of a significant amount of client funds by Rominger,” Freed said.
Rominger said on Friday that he's “cooperating completely” and referred further questions to Costopoulos, who was not immediately available for comment after Freed's statement was released.
Norris Gelman, the lead lawyer in Sandusky's pending appeal of his 45-count child molestation conviction, said Monday that Rominger's representation of Sandusky ended some time ago. Gelman said the allegations regarding Rominger were highly unlikely to affect Sandusky's case.
Freed said he learned about the allegations on Wednesday afternoon and met with Costopoulos on Thursday morning. Rominger said he initiated the investigation.
“The district attorney's office is working quickly and I'm cooperating completely,” Rominger said.
In an audio statement released on his Facebook page, Rominger said he had “wronged” others.
“I will do everything in my power to help those that I've wronged and to make whole any loss that I've created,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- One person taken to hospital after fire in Scott
- Gunfire wounds man near Riverview Park
- County police officer on leave after assault charges filed
- Civil War vet gets 21-gun salute
- Overnight closures, lane restrictions announced for Fort Pitt Tunnel, Parkway West
- Allegheny County Airport gets FAA grant to trim trees under flight path
- Flooded out of Big Easy, veterinarian builds new life in Lawrenceville
- Pa. trooper jailed in co-worker’s fatal shooting during training class
- Port Authority of Allegheny County eyes $2M in detour costs
- Teen caught after stolen car crashes in Homewood
- Newsmaker: H. Scott Cunningham