Newsmaker: Dr. Bruce A. Wright
Dr. Bruce A. Wright
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Sheila; children Lauren, Austin and Meghan; stepchildren Taylor and Nathan
Education: Bachelor's degree in history, Duke University, 1984; medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh, 1988; residency at University of Pittsburgh, 1992
Background: Upon completing his residency, Dr. Wright went into a joint psychiatric practice with his father, Dr. L. Alan Wright, from 1992 until his father's death in 2008. Both were affiliated with St. Clair Hospital in Mt. Lebanon, where the younger Dr. Wright chairs the psychiatry department. Dr. Wright is a photographer who sells his work — mostly landscapes, he said — to benefit the St. Clair Hospital Foundation.
Noteworthy: St. Clair Hospital gave Dr. Wright its 2014 Physician Recognition Award, an annual honor Dr. Wright said was similar to a “physician of the year” award. In the ceremony Friday, hospital staff recognized him for his service as chair of the psychiatry department, his work as a member of the credentials committee and the medical executive committee. In his acceptance speech, he said he was accepting the award on his late father's behalf.
Quote: “Psychiatrists often... don't get as much recognition as other fields. I think the fact that the hospital named a psychiatrist physician of the year really validates our contribution.”
— Matthew Santoni
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State police probe trooper’s arrest at Pittsburgh wedding
- Unions warn of problems with referrals outside Veterans Affairs system
- Nearly 1 in 10 has had identity stolen, RMU poll finds
- University, Pittsburgh officials inspect student housing in Oakland
- Close vote expected on posting restaurant grades in Allegheny County
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Pa. Monuments license plates revenue to help maintain Gettysburg monuments
- Newsmaker: Master Sgt. Edward Altmeyer
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks among world’s best