Newsmaker: Josh Schwoebel
Noteworthy: The Pennsylvania School Public Relations Association this month honored him for The eCommunicator, the weekly newsletter for Mars Area School District, and for the district's profile pamphlet. The email newsletter reaches 1,450 people, and the informational pamphlet targets prospective students and their families. The awards arose from the association's annual Excellence in Education Communication Contest.
Family: Wife, Susan
Education: Bachelor's degree in journalism, Penn State University, 1997
Occupation: Director of communications, Mars Area School District
Background: A former newspaper editor for the McKnight Journal and the North Journal in the North Hills, Schwoebel joined the school district in 2003. He oversaw the transition of its regular newsletter to an electronic format, emphasizing student achievement and equal coverage of sports teams. He grew up in Economy and attended Quigley Catholic High School.
Quote: “I feel that communications and public relations is really about building relationships with parents and our community through the sharing of information.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’
- Second African penguin chick hatches at National Aviary
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Brashear High ‘little libraries’ program rolls out
- Environmental teachers glean new ideas from networking
- Penguins player might have exposed Children’s Hospital patients to mumps
- Penn Hills police group’s holiday train display reaches end of line
- Bridge work to cause early morning traffic stoppages on Parkway West off-ramp in Carnegie
- Motivation in slaying of Penn Hills couple remains unclear
- The Exchange offers reward for information that leads to the arrest of person who shot Ross clerk