Newsmaker: Mike Faix
Noteworthy: Faix won the Pittsburgh American Association of Zoo Keepers Photo Contest for his photo of Dillon, a Martial eagle, a large species of eagle native to Africa. The photo was auctioned off this month to support snow leopard conservation efforts.
Residence: White Oak
Occupation: Faix is a bird trainer at the National Aviary. He works with birds that are featured in the aviary's shows. Dillon will star in the aviary's SOAR! show this summer.
Background: Growing up, Faix knew he wanted to work at a zoo. He interned at the aviary while in college and was hired after graduating. He worked several jobs, including a stint as a veterinary technician there before joining the bird training department.
Education: Graduated from Penn State University in 2005 with a degree in biology.
Quote: “You see so many things day to day here, and you're like, ‘Wow.' You kind of have an urge to share it with people. You get to see candid moments sometimes, and that's what I try to capture. I consider myself a portrait photographer, like taking photos of people in a studio, but I'm doing it with birds.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT details closings as work continues on Parkway West
- Lane restrictions announced for portion of Route 28
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- Woman shot in shoulder during McKeesport fight
- Package thefts can be prevented, police, experts say
- Muslim civil rights group seeks investigation into shooting of Pittsburgh taxi driver
- Security policies limit ‘insider threat’ at airports, TSA says
- Shooting of Pittsburgh cab driver spotlights risks of profession
- Alpine touring skiing movement faces uphill climb in Western Pa.
- Pittsburgh on cusp of leaving fiscal oversight
- Terror threat doesn’t keep Pittsburgh International travelers down