Newsmaker: John Nagy
Noteworthy: The Florida-based American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute recognized Nagy this month with its 2014 Lamp of Knowledge Award for an Outstanding U.S. Educator. The prize honors a commitment to advancing professionalism and education in the hospitality industry.
Residence: Squirrel Hill
Family: Brothers, Dr. Michael Nagy of Bloomington, Ind., and Cabby Nagy and Terry Nagy of the Greenfield area; sister, Kim Horn of Penn Hills; late sister, Diane Nagy
Occupation: Instructor in restaurant and hospitality management at Pittsburgh Technical Institute, Oakdale
Background: Nagy grew up in Oakland and started his career at a Howard Johnson hotel in the neighborhood. He worked in a variety of jobs at the Omni William Penn, the University Club and other hotels in Pittsburgh and Florida. He joined PTI about 15 years ago.
Education: Associate degree in hospitality management from PTI and bachelor's degree in general studies from Point Park University in the 1990s; professional certification from the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute.
Quote: “I like to bring successful graduates in the industry back into the classroom so they can talk to the students. When students are hearing from a graduate, they seem to be understanding a little more and feel relaxed to ask some questions.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brashear High ‘little libraries’ program rolls out
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Newsmaker: Cindy Marzock
- Environmental teachers glean new ideas from networking
- DA: Fired Century III Mall manager stole $51K
- Pittsburgh fraud case, Uganda-based counterfeiting racket linked
- Second African penguin chick hatches at National Aviary
- The Exchange offers reward for information that leads to the arrest of person who shot Ross clerk
- Fall from Hazelwood roof kills man
- Motivation in slaying of Penn Hills couple remains unclear