Former GOP presidential candidate Huckabee honored at gala supporting St. Barnabas
More than 400 people attended St. Barnabas Charities' 114th Founder's Day fundraiser and gala on Thursday night in Cranberry.
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a former presidential candidate who finished second in the 2008 race for the Republican nomination, served as featured speaker and received the Hance Award, named for St. Barnabas founder Gouverneur P. Hance.
Huckabee, an accomplished musician, also played bass guitar with The Entertainers Jazz Band.
Referring to St. Barnabas' lengthy history and the $100 million-plus that its Free Care Fund has provided in charity medical care, Huckabee said, “That is a remarkable testament to the generosity of this community.”
Tribune-Review owner Dick Scaife served as honorary dinner chairman. St. Barnabas gave him a certificate of appreciation.
St. Barnabas Charities is the nonprofit fundraising arm of St. Barnabas Health System.
Proceeds from the annual fundraiser and gala benefit the St. Barnabas Free Care Fund, which provides charity medical care, medicine and other support for disabled men and women and the elderly.
This year's crowd was the largest in the history of the event. Last year's gala drew about 370 people and helped St. Barnabas Charities raise more than $6 million in 2013, spokeswoman Shelli Sommariva said.
Tom Fontaine is a staff writerfor Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Homestead struggles to pick up pieces left by devastating fire
- Proposed Ross housing development revised to answer critics
- Commander: City police working to improve accountability
- Man arrested in massive Homestead fire
- Tribune-Review photojournalist Goldband wins 1st place in national competition
- Bethel Park boy named honorary police officer dies
- Newsmaker: Jeff Reinbold
- Jan. 31 fundraiser to aid Homestead’s recovery from fire