2 women dead in fire in Fineview neighborhood of Pittsburgh
They were the neighborhood dog lovers who cared for each other and neighbors.
Two women killed in a house fire on Belleau Street in Fineview on Wednesday hosted Doggie Night on some Fridays and looked after neighbors' dogs while people worked or traveled out of town, neighbors said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office has not released the women's names, but neighbors and property records identified them as Judy Rassias and Cathy Arkus.
Neighbors said Rassias received a call from her sister before the fire, informing her that her father had died.
“They both took care of each other, and they took care of the rest of us,” Marcia Kraus said. “They were amazing. They would do anything for anybody.”
The fire ripped through the women's home and spread to two neighboring houses, destroying roofs and melting siding. Firefighters found the women's bodies on the third floor. No one else was injured.
Pat Johnston was about to leave for work when she saw what she thought was fog on Belleau Street. She stepped outside and smelled smoke.
“I started ringing doorbells and screaming to get out,” Johnston said, adding she couldn't get close to the burning home. “I don't think anyone could get inside. The fire was too intense.”
Arkus moved in with Rassias when their husbands died and Arkus lost her house to foreclosure, Kraus said. Arkus had dogs, and Rassias opened her home to them.
On some Fridays, the two would host a party for neighborhood dogs, Kraus said. A dozen or so dogs would play in their yard while neighbors shared food and stories.
The women gave neighbors rides to doctor appointments, and once they offered to pick up Kraus when she was stranded by a broken-down car, she said.
The women rarely left their house in recent months, neighbors said. Arkus had arthritis and Rassias had cancer, Kraus said.
Firefighters received a call about the blaze at 6:39 a.m. and arrived in five minutes, Pittsburgh fire Chief Darryl Jones said.
Neighbors said the fire spread fast, starting on the second floor and engulfing the third floor. Flames shot from windows and smoke billowed.
Preliminary reports indicate that a burning cigarette on the second floor started the fire, which trapped the women, public safety spokeswoman Sonya Toler said. Jones said one of the women was in a bathroom and the other was in a chair. He said neighbors told investigators both women had mobility issues.
Richard Cramer lived next door and said the two looked after his dogs while he worked.
“We were best of friends,” said Cramer, who wasn't home when the fire started. Firefighters broke through his front door to save his two West Highland terriers. Neighbors said the women's two dogs and a cat died in the fire.
Aaron Aupperlee is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7986 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Parents keep children home from Brookline schools over threats
- State lawmakers delay hearings on Corbett’s review of academic standards
- Number of jobs in high-tech industry outpace workers in Pittsburgh, nation
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Mandated sewer project to increase Alcosan customers’ bills
- Air Conditioning Contractors, Peoples partner on furnace cleanings for low-income residents
- Nonprofits replace humdrum charity 5Ks with rappelling
- Allegheny police seek non-custodial dad, missing 4-year-old son
- Judge drops charges against Ambridge ROTC instructor’s wife
- Latest flu vaccines offer protection from 4 influenza strains instead of traditional 3